thirty three

After dinner, Wooyoung requested the healers to let San discharge early and take him to their chamber.

As much as he tried to deny it, he felt lonely without San. The room seemed a lot bigger and quiter all by himself.

They agreed reluctantly after Wooyoung's continuous promises of taking care of San until he is completely recovered.

So here they were, back in their room. San laid down on the bed with a book in his hands and eyes focused behind those round spectacle frames. Wooyoung thought he had no reason to look this good while just reading.

San, as if reading his mind, looked up and locked eyes with Wooyoung. He gave the taller a hesitant smile, unsure of how to act now that things were so different between them.

But to his relief, San looked equally awkward as him. He didn't know what to say or do anymore, and neither did San, but there was something between them that kept building over time. And even though Wooyoung wasn't sure where they stood, he could feel the atmosphere changing drastically now that they were not bickering or insulting each other.

There were a lot of times during the past months that Wooyoung wanted to tell San how he really feels, but he had known that that would complicate matters further. Now that things had changed, there was nothing to stop him from confessing his feelings. But would that be the right thing? Sure, he had told him that he liked him but he thought that seemed too vague for how he truly feels. How deep in he was for San.

Wooyoung felt like they were walking a very fragile line and if he made one misstep, he might break it, leaving everything shattered and falling apart. And yet every word that was coming out of his mouth to San made him want to cross that line. To jump off of it into the unknown abyss between them. If it was only a matter of crossing it.

Wooyoung shook his head with a sigh as he sat beside San on the bed, leaning against the wall next to his bed. San immediately noticed his movement and closed his book. He turned around to face Wooyoung, looking at him expectantly. "Do you need anything?" San asked him, his voice soft.

"No..." Wooyoung replied, not knowing where to look. The close proximity made his head spin, his thoughts going into overdive mode. 

What is he thinking about me now?

He took a breath before looking at San and smiling. He hoped that somehow the warmth radiating in his chest will give him the courage to speak. 

"Listen.." He hesitated, feeling his heart speed up. It started beating painfully when he realized that he was finally about to talk.

"...are you hungry?" Wooyoung blurted out with a slight grimace. San blinked, looking taken aback. But slowly like the sun rises at dawn, a smile bloomed on his face, lighting up his features so brightly that Wooyoung couldn't tear his gaze away.

He laughed lightly, looking down at Wooyoung with mirth in his eyes, "Yeah."

"Well, I'm pretty hungry myself. So, if you don't mind, let's go get some food together." Wooyoung smiled mischievously. It was past midnight and he was pretty sure the kitchens were off limits, the cooks and servants probably long asleep.

Wooyoung could have sworn that the blush creeping up San's neck and ears was evidence enough. The other boy cleared his throat and nodded enthusiastically. They both stood up from the bed, stretching and rubbing their aching muscles.

They walked out side by side, their shoulders bumping occasionally, resulting in quite giggles.

The walk to the kitchens wasn't too far but the silence was comforting. It allowed them to clear their heads and think about what they should eat.