Twenty three

Next morning came too early for San's liking. He somehow wished this had been nothing but a terrible nightmare.

However, as soon as his eyes opened the reality set in.

This wasn't a dream, this was real life and it was just a few hours until Yoohyeon would be executed.

His eyes stung with unshed tears but he refused to let them fall. This was the best thing that could've happened to Yoohyeon at the moment. She would be free once and for all.

He glanced over at Wooyoung as rage and anger bubbled inside his heart.

He hated the way Wooyoung had entered his life and destroyed everything and everyone in it.

How he took everything away from him.

It seemed like nothing mattered anymore. Even when things were supposed to be good they were always tainted with pain.

He sat up slowly, trying to ease the ache in his body. After spending most of the night tossing and turning, he managed to wake up and get ready. His mind wandered back to last night. To the sound of his heart breaking and how Yoohyeon's crying made his heart feel like it was cracking.

San felt a cold fear spiraling down his spine. Yoohyeon will be executed in a few hours. His first is going to be killed mercilessly right in front of his eyes.

Although his feelings for Yoohyeon had died down considerably, she still held a very important place in his heart.

His eyes burned and the lump in his throat started to form but he swallowed it forcefully. He forced himself to focus, taking deep breaths and calming down.

As he exited their shared bedroom he was greeted by Mingi who was already dressed and sitting outside in the garden.

They were quiet and San tried his hardest not to think about the fact that Yoohyeon was going to die in less than a few hours.

But how could he not.
The thought of the innocent, sweet girl who was San's first love, being executed made him want to scream until he couldn't speak.

Mingi's voice snapped him back to the present and he focused his attention on the boy.

"Did you sleep well?"

San nodded curtly his vision blurry due to the onslaught of emotions flooding his brain.

"Come on, let us break our fast."

They ate their usual breakfast at the palace kitchens before getting changed into their official clothes.

Wooyoung wasn't in the room. San was glad. He wouldn't be able to look at him without lashing out.

San stood up, he caught sight of his reflection and stopped.

Looking back at himself was not who he saw everyday.
He wasn't the same person he used to be. He looked so tired and worn out.

Dark bags hung under his eyes.
His red hair was messy and uneven, falling into his eyes and covering most of his features except for his mouth. His face was pale and gaunt.

He felt his heart constrict when he remembered Yoohyeon's sad expression as his father spoke those awful words. He hated it. That she must feel so bad because of him. He couldn't help the guilt that consumed him at that moment.

He was afraid. Afraid of what will happen next. What will happen to his life once Yoohyeon dies. What would happen after her death. Would he really be alright with that?

Or maybe not. Maybe after this day was over, he might lose a part of himself that he couldn't replace, he might be completely broken.

His thoughts came to an abrupt halt when Mingi called out his name urgently.