Fourteen

The rocking of the vehicle halted. San stretched his arms above his head and looked outside the window as afternoon light spilled into the carriage.

He glanced at the younger fast asleep with his head lolling uncomfortably to his side.

"We have reached Arcelia." He heard someone announce outside.

"Jung." He called. The younger didn't move. San sighed, moving closer.

He shook the sleeping boy vigorously.
"Jung! Wake up. We have reached." He raised his voice slightly.

Wooyoung frowned and opened his eyes slowly, immediately squeezing them shut as the brightness almost blinded him.

He rubbed his eyes and stretched his arms above his head, letting out a final yawn.

San stepped out of the carriage and took in the view in front of him.

The castle stood proudly amongst the lush green field stretched across the land, dotted with dandelions. The cool wind gently blew the hair out of his eyes.

He turned back to see the younger getting out of the vehicle and stretching once again, a long sigh escaped his lips. Yeosang immediately came by his side and escorted the couple towards the entrance.

Wooyoung smiled at his home, looking as magnificent as ever.

They walked towards the entrance and an unsettling feeling gathered in his stomach as he saw his father standing with his wife and his sons.
Yunho smiled at him bittersweetly and his eyes looked grim. Wooyoung didn't like that look.

They greeted each other and Wooyoung's eyes wandered around, hoping to catch a glimpse of his mother. The ambience was suffocating.

They were escorted inside and to their room. He paced around the chamber, while San studied the room.

"Where is mother? Why didn't she come to greet me at the gates?" He whispered to himself, with a frown.

A servant knocked the door and requested them to follow him.
Wooyoung frowned, eyeing the servant skeptically.
"It is an order from His Majesty. Please follow me."

San and Wooyoung went with him, his stomach churning nervously as his palms became sweaty.

Yeosang was currently on a break for a day to reunite with his family and needless to say Wooyoung felt uneasy without his best friend by his side.

He felt extremely nervous, as his hands shook. He had a faint idea of what might have happened and he avoided the possibility with all his might.

San noticed his behavior but decided to keep silent.

They arrived at a field located behind the castle, where he used to play with his brothers in his childhood days.

As they neared the field, he spotted a stone slab with something engraved on its surface.
His breathing sped up and his head began to spin.

The guard escorted them near it, and left the couple to themselves.

Wooyoung slowly walked towards it and slapped a hand on his mouth as he saw the engraving on the stone.

In the loving memory of;
Here lies the body of Eunkyung.
May her soul rest in peace.

San eyes widened slightly as realization hit him. He turned to look at Wooyoung, who stared at the ground with wide, frantic eyes. His hands trembled in his fists and his lips quivered.

He dropped to the ground, as a single tear rolled down his cheeks. Once that first tear broke free, the rest followed in an unbroken stream.

"Mother?" His voice faltered. There was pin drop silence and a wretched sob escaped his throat.

San gulped as he looked at the shaking boy in front of him. He pursed his lips and carefully placed a hand on his shoulder. He knelt down beside the younger and hesitantly wrapped an arm around his trembling shoulders.

Surprisingly, Wooyoung leaned in the older's embrace farther and farther until he was sobbing in his chest. San's heart felt heavy and his stomach twisted as he held the weeping boy gently in his arms and rubbed his back soothingly.

His shirt dampened with the tears of his husband as the dark haired male squeezed his eyelids shut and shook his head frantically, muttering a serious of 'no's and 'please'.

San caressed his hair lightly and Wooyoung pressed himself deeper into the warm embrace, clutching the older's fabric tightly in his fist.

The sky turned a deep shade of crimson as the sun dipped into the horizon, spreading wings of fire over the heavens. The songbirds' melody faded as they retired for the day.

As time drifted, the blanket of stars engulfed the two hurting souls in it's embrace.

🥀