thirty two

The next few weeks passed in a haze. The kingdom was recovering from the war.

The castle had almost completely renovated and everything seemed like it had fallen back into place.

And yet, it still felt hollow. Like there was something missing.

There were no more nightmares that left him shaking and gasping for breath at night. No more empty threats or nightmares to chase him through the halls of the palace.

It felt eerily quiet. Almost like it was mocking his attempts at happiness.

Mingi had a grand burial and Yeosang became colder that ever.

Still, he was glad that things were better than before.

Even though Amaris had clearly lost the battle, The emperor did not capture the kingdom and Yunho now ruled the Kingdom of Amaris with his brothers.

His father was dead. Wooyoung didn't know how to feel about that. A part of him was relieved. However it still hurt him a bit.

Things could have been so much different. They didn't had to end up like this.

"Wooyoung?"

Yeosang's voice cut him off from his thoughts and he looked over to see his best friend.

Yeosang had become skinnier that before, the bags under his eyes seemed to be more prominent than they had been before. His face was pale too and he looked tired. He was probably even thinner than usual because he hadn't been eating properly since the war ended.

Wooyoung's heart ached for his friend.

"His Highness has requested to see you."

Yeosang nodded slowly and followed Wooyoung out the room and down the stairs.

His feet echoed across the stone floors and as they made their way towards the infirmary.

The walk there went by in silence and Wooyoung wished he knew what to say. He wanted to tell the other boy not to give up hope. That things could be better. But he wasn't sure Yeosang would ever believe him.

They reached the infirmary and Yeosang waited outside while Wooyoung walked in towards San's room.

He opened the door and his eyes widened slightly.

San was standing up, facing the window.

Wooyoung cleared his throat.

"You better have a really good reason for being out of bed."

San jumped at the voice and turned around to see Wooyoung' standing there, his arms folded over his chest and an eyebrow raised.

San scoffed which sounded more like a chuckle.

"I just wanted to get some fresh air. Also, what's it to you? I thought you found me annoying." San said mirroring Wooyoung's stance.

Wooyoung rolled his eyes and stepped closer to the bed.

"No one finds you annoying. You're a total pain in my arse sometimes but that's neither here nor there."

San frowned.

"What does that mean?"

"Never mind."

Wooyoung sighed and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Didn't anyone tell you that resting is very important?"

"Yeah but I don't feel tired and my wounds are healing." San replied shrugging his shoulders.