thirty

Wooyoung grunted as he pierced his sword through his opponent's neck, killing him instantly.

Just as he stopped to catch his breath, another dagger found its way to his arm, lightly grazing the surface of skin and making a small cut.

The blood gushed out, staining the ground red in seconds.

Wooyoung grit his teeth, feeling the pain coursing through his body like wildfire, but managed to keep standing despite how painful it was. 

He didn't know much time had passed since the army had broken into the palace gardens. It could just be a few minutes but it felt like he had been fighting for hours.

He wiped away the excess blood from his hand and turned around just in time to see the soldier lift up his sword, aiming at his neck.

Wooyoung quickly ducked underneath, narrowly avoiding the attack before he jumped onto the enemy's back and drove his blade deep into his spine.

The man let out a cry of pain as he fell to the ground lifelessly.

Wooyoung didn't give himself any time to rest, swinging around in a circle as he took out all the soldiers surrounding him before they could even react to what had just happened.

With his last remaining energy reserves, Wooyoung launched himself onto the tallest soldier he could find, slashing wildly through his chest until the man fell dead too.

As the adrenaline began to fade away, the only thought in his mind was San.

He squinted his eyes, trying to spot the familiar mop of crimson hair amidst the sea of fighting soldiers.

He hissed as blood gathered between his fingers, the pain in his arm starting to get worse with every passing second.

He needed to see San. He needed to know if he was okay. He walked deeper into the smoke of battle, desperately searching for the familiar silhouette amongst the chaos.

His heart rattled against his ribcage, pounding like thunder as anxiety set it on edge.

"San!" He screamed desperately.

But no matter how hard he looked, he couldn't make anything out.

No red locks of hair peeking from behind a helmet, no black robes dancing across the field, nothing.

"SAN-" His scream was interrupted as an arrow flew over his head and embedded itself in his shoulder, sending a sharp pain shooting through his entire being.

He collapsed to the ground, clutching his wound tightly as he tried to ignore the burning sensation spreading through his body.

"Wooyoung!" The all too familiar voice of his best friend resonated in his ears. Wooyoung tried with all his strength to stand up. Soon, the blond was by his side helping him by grabbing him by his waist and pulling him up against his body.

Wooyoung inhaled shakily, relief washing over him like waves to see that Yeosang was alive and okay.

"W-Where is San?" He asked, his words slurring together due to the throbbing pain he felt radiating throughout his body.

Yeosang frowned, looking around helplessly before lowering his voice and saying, "I don't know. I lost track of you two."

His brow furrowed as worry settled within him. Cold fear spiraled down his spine.

"Yeosang we need to find him. I need to- I can't-" He mumbled, kicking a soldier square in his chest to send him flying into some nearby bushes.

"Calm down Wooyoung, I'm sure he's fine." Yeosang insisted, patting his friend on the back reassuringly.