Chapter 18.

“They are lying.” Hammad Muhammad, Gravity.

Chapter 18.

☻Safa Muhammad ☻

The next morning I woke up and I wasn’t feeling very good. I didn’t want to get out of my bed but then I realized it was fajr time so I quickly got up. I made wudhu and prayed. As soon as I got done, there was a loud knock on my door. I immediately recognized that it was no other than Haneen. I sighed and opened the door. Surprisingly, it wasn’t Haneen. It was Hammad.

“Yes?” I asked. He had some papers in his hands.

“I got them,” he said like he just accomplished some mission.

“Got what?” I asked as he came inside. I closed the door behind him.

“The papers. Grandpa’s will. What he actually wrote,” he smiled and handed them to me. “You should know everything.”

I sighed. “Hammad I told you I-

“Just read it,” he cut me off. I sat down and took out some papers from the khaki envelope. I read everything and then put it inside the envelope. I handed it back to him.

“Well?” he asked. “What does it say?”

“Exactly what mama and baba told me. Hammad, I don’t know why you want to prove them wrong. They’re not lying. My parents would never do that to any of their kids. I am happy with whatever’s happening. Happier than before. I don’t mind this wedding and you shouldn’t either. Be happy for your big sister for once. Please?” I smiled at him. He stayed quiet for a moment.

“I am sorry to say but... they are lying. I’ve read their faces whenever they talk about the will. And it’s not of someone who’s telling the truth. I respect them and everything but Safa sometimes, money’s over everything. Literally,” he said and walked towards the door.

“What do you mean ‘literally’? I asked.

“I mean even over children. Money is a very dangerous thing. Sometimes it even tears families apart. Just beware. I don’t think Omar-

“Hammad please. Stop backbiting, would you?” I stopped him.

“Are you defending Omar now?” he asked as if he didn’t like it.

“What if I am?” I said.

“Well, are you?” he asked.

I stayed quiet. “No,” I said.

He kept staring at me. “Are you sure?” he asked.

“Hammad, go and get some sleep. You look disturbed,” I literally pushed him out of my room and closed the door behind him. I felt sick to my stomache. What I read on those papers made me want to cry. But I didn’t show it. I sat down on my bed. Should I really start a chaos and be selfish? Or should I keep quiet and keep going with everything? What those papers said could easily get me out of this living hell of mine. But would I really do that for my happiness? Could I really be that selfish?

At 11 that morning I woke up and took a bath. I changed into some new clothes since it was still the second day of eid. I combed my hair and got out my room. Breakfast was already set up on the table. Few people were sitting down and were waiting for more members to come. I went and quietly sat down on the table. My mom stared at me but didn’t say anything. I wanted that by the way.

After breakfast, it was time for the traditional tea. I made tea and served it to everyone. I was handing it to Omar but he, very rudely, rejected it.