Chapter 30

Safa

I took off my jewelry and threw it on the bed. My ear piercings had definitely grown an inch since the time I first wore these heavy-duty earrings.

The guests had left and only close family friends were sitting in the living room, sipping on their fourth cup of tea. I couldn't take all the chatter and decided to freshen up. I stared at myself in the mirror. The most dreaded day of my life had passed but unfortunately, this was only the beginning.

I had married Omar. He was my husband. I had always imagined for this day to be one filled with joy and excitement... for everyone. But it turned out to be the exact opposite of that.

I didn't cry. I didn't have any tears left. What's there to cry for? My tears aren't going to teleport me a to an alternate universe. This is it. This is life.

I changed into my normal clothes and sat down on my bed, resting my head on one of the pillows. But peace wasn't written in the books for me, for I heard a knock as soon as I closed my eyes.

"Just come in," I said and in walked my two sisters with a smirk on their faces.

"What?" I asked, irritated.

"Well hello to you too," Haneen spoke as she sat down beside me. "What's up with the mood? And what's up with the PJs at seven-thirty?"

"My body is aching from all that load," I replied, emphasizing each word so that I wouldn't have to repeat anything.

"Well, understood. Anyway, mama sent me upstairs to let you know we're all going for a family dinner so you should get ready," she told me.

"All of us," Zahra chimed in with a wink.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I furrowed my brows, intentionally ignoring what her wink meant.

"Yeah Zahra, that's kind of getting old. Come up with something new," Haneen told her off.

"Oh really, I-

"Girls, we're leaving now. Safa, perk up and dress up," Zahra was interrupted, as Hafsa entered with her proclamation.

"I'll be right there. Give me a few minutes," I said as I got up and walked towards my closet to find something decent to wear.

---

"I didn't know we had plans to go anywhere," I told Zaipee. Everybody was standing next to the front door, waiting for a few people to come down.

"It was last minute, just another reason for us to gather and have fun," she said with her signature, loving smile. I smiled back.

"Okay peoples, let's go! We're getting hungry out here!" Zahra screamed from outside.

"Alright, let's go!" said Hammad as he grabbed his car keys. Everybody else followed behind.

"Oh Safa, Jaani, can you go get my phone? I think I forgot it on my side table," mama stopped just as I was about to sit in Hammad's car.

"Sure mama," I said and walked as quickly as my heels could take me. I went inside and looked everywhere but couldn't find it anywhere. After searching for a few minutes, I went back outside and told her it was nowhere to be found.

"Oh?" mama said as she opened her purse to look. "Ah, it's right here. Sorry honey." She had an apologetic smile on her face.

"No worries, mama."

I walked over to Hammad's car which now had no space for me. Haneen and Hafsa were sitting in the back seat while Zahra sat in the front. There was a huge cardboard box in between Hafsa and Haneen.