Chapter 27.

"I'm scared." – Haneen Muhammad, Gravity.

Chapter 27.

~ Haneen Muhammad ~

On the third day, I finally decided to turn on my phone. My heart beat raced as the Apple logo appeared on my iPhone screen. I was mixed with emotions. I was tearing up and I was excited. I was angry and I was sad. I couldn't make my mind and focus on one mood. I put my phone on the table in front of me and waited for it to fully start working. At the corner of my screen, 'no service' was shown. I waited for my phone to catch signals so I could get notifications for any missed calls. Hopefully.

Meena sat down beside me as I stared at my phone's screen.

"Just hope for the best. You still have a few moments," she placed her hand on my shoulder and I gave her a nervous smile. I felt tight knots in my stomach as I saw my service name on the corner of the screen. No notifications appeared. I gulped and looked at Meena.

She stared at me in disbelief. My eyes burned with tears and I put my phone upside down. Just what I was afraid of.

"This is exactly why I hadn't turned my phone on until now," I told Meena. She was looking at the floor.

"Maybe they did call and your phone didn't pick the signals," Meena suggested. I shook my head.

"It always shows me my notifications whenever I turn it on," I told her and sighed.

"What was I thinking. I should have known," I scoffed. Meena sighed.

"I'm so sorry," she sounded like she was the one who was wrong.

"Hey, unlock your phone and check the call log. Sometimes if you don't see the notification on the lock screen, it definitely shows it in your log," she spoke suddenly after a short while.

"I am not going to do that. You can try if you'd like," I had my head on one side and was staring at the lamp beside her couch.

"I would love to," she said and unlocked my phone since I didn't put any passcode. I hoped to hear something positive so I waited for her to talk again.

"Can I be your good luck charm?" she said after about 10 seconds. I put my head up and looked at her. She had a grin on her face. I took my phone from her hands and let out a little squeal in joy. My call log was filled with Safa's phone number and other unknown numbers I didn't have saved on my phone.

They had called me. They did call me. The last call was missed about 3 hours ago. A tear ran down my cheek as my faith restored. Faith that my family did love me. And they did appreciate my existence, even if they were all avoiding me. I looked at Meena with tears in my eyes.

"You are my good luck charm," I said as I hugged her.

"I'm glad you agree," she laughed softly as she hugged me back.

A sigh of happiness escaped my lips as we parted away.

"So... now what?" she asked.

"Nothing. I am happy and relaxed," I replied with a smile.

Meena furrowed her eyebrows. "What do you mean? You're not going to call your family and let them know where you are? Clearly they're worried for you," she said. I shook my head.

"If they call again I'll answer. But until then—

"Haneen you can't do this! Don't be so cruel over them! Think about what your parents must be going through. Now you know they love you," Meena told me. Her tone suggested that she was surprised at the fact that I was still deciding to cut off any contact with my family.