Chapter 7.

"Why do you look like someone who just ran a marathon?" - Haneen Muhammad, Gravity.

Chapter 7.

☻Safa Muhammad ☻

I pulled up on the driveway and turned my car off. I sat there for a while, then got out. Slowly and calmly, I walked towards my entrance door and rang the door bell. Haneen opened the door, and before I could walk in, she pulled me inside by my arm.

"Ow", I said, rubbing my arm. It felt like I had pulled a muscle.

"We have to be at uncle Harris' in 2 or 3 hours", Haneen told me. I nodded. "Ok. So?" I asked her.

"And since you're their daughter-in-law to be, you have to start getting ready right this moment. Mama has already pressed your clothes and i'm going to do your makeup. You have to look fabulous", she said, waving her arms in the air. I laughed. "I'm not the bride yet", I put my bag in the closet.

"No, but you're going to be. Come on Safa, you have to look pretty.. please!" Haneen almost pleaded. It was weird to see her plead for something, since she always got what she wanted. So seeing her puppy face, I nodded. "Ok. But first-

"...let you take a selfie?" she interrupted me. The little playful sparkle was visible in her eyes. I wanted to laugh but I didn't. She got spoiled because everyone laughed at all of her useless and senseless jokes.

"...let me take a shower. Then i'll let you doodle over my face", I told her and walked up the stairs. She stuck her tongue out at me. I laughed again. I loved my family.

"Safa I pressed your clothes already", Zahra said as I was about to enter my room. I was confused. "Wait, Haneen just told me mama pressed my clothes", I said.

"Oh", she said, her eyes wide open. "Yeah mama did. I just said it with hopes that you might actually think i'm telling the truth", she walked away as if she was sad. I watched as she walked down the stairs. I held back my laugh again. I just didn't feel like laughing or smiling at the moment. I closed my room's door and took off my cardigan. I got a new towel from my closet and hopped into the shower. I might have taken longer than usual, because Haneen and Zahra had already knocked on my door 15 times. Everytime I would tell them i'd be out in 5 minutes, but that didn't happen.

"You've been saying for the last 1 hour", Zahra shouted, since I couldn't hear properly because of the shower.

"1 hour? Is that how long i've been in the shower?" I shouted back.

"Safa, Zahra's just exaggerating. You've been in there for 5 hours", now Haneen shouted.

"Wow.. time flies!" I shouted back.

"Are we really going to have this conversation through a bathroom door?" Zahra asked. I laughed. "Looks like it. Actually, we are", I shouted.

"Just be out here in 5 minutes. Mama's getting mad", Zahra said and after that, I heard nothing.

I quickly cleaned my hair and turned the shower off. After drying myself, I came in my room. The dress was lying on my bed and so I quickly picked it up, and ran in my closet.

"I'm going to use your bathroom", I heard Haneen say.

"Kay-Kay", I replied and closed the closet door. I quickly changed into my dress and hung my jeans and t-shirt on a hanger.

"Ok, now I have to doodle over your face", Haneen said as she put her makeup kit down on my bed. I acted scared.

"Ya Allah! Just don't make me look like a... um..", I said as I tried to think of a word. I snapped my fingers together but nothing appropriate came to mind.