Chapter 4.

"That's not how marriages work..." -Hammad Muhammad, Gravity.

Chapter 4 -

The one I don't want

 ☻Safa Muhammad ☻

"What do you mean you hate him? What's there to hate about him?" My mom asked me with a cold tone. I looked at her and then looked down. I didn't want to misbehave with her just for the sake of defending myself. I played with my fingers as my dad continued.

"Jameelah, let us hear her reasoning. Why do you hate him Safa honey?" he asked with a polite tone and this time I looked up at him. He had the most calm face right now; unlike my mom. Even though I wasn't looking at her, I knew she was boiling up inside. And the effects were clearly obvious on her face.

"Baba, I haven't talked to him for the past 15 or 16 years. I just..." I paused. "I just hate him. I don't like him. I won't like his company, I just hate him baba." I suddenly looked away and tried controlling my emotions and voice - which seemed to get a little louder while I defended my reason. Baba nodded. "Why not do the istikhara then?" he said. I looked back at him and then at my mother. She was also nodding.

"How romantic is this! She's asking Allah to help her decide whether to marry the man of her dreams or not", Haneen interrupted, dramatically wiping a fake tear off her cheek. "So beautiful." I glared at her.

"He's not the man of my dreams!" I exclaimed.

"Deny it all you want! But I know you are in love with Omar", she replied, trying to make the innocent face. It wasn't working though. The thought of being in love with Omar disgusted me. What was in that guy? Just the fact that he was a doctor didn't impress me. If I didn't know anything about him, what will his medical studies do? Surgerize my brain and make me love him? Ew. I knew why Mama and Baba were so eagerly wanting me to marry him but honestly, I wouldn't marry someone on the same criteria as them. Good looks and high education wasn't what you're supposed to look for in a person. It's a lot more than that. And in my opinion, if someone did go beyond his looks and studies, they would be disappointed.

"Ew", I replied as I got up and poured some juice for myself. The dining table and the kitchen were still a mess from all the leftover food and utensils. Nobody had the strength to clean up, especially since they had been cooking for the last 24 hours. Hammad and Haneen never really helped with kitchen. All they came in the kitchen for was to eat or throw their trash. It was annoying how most of the time I had to clean up and the rest of the family rested on the couch. But luckily, due to my exams for the last 1 week, I had been given an excuse from all the house work.

"Seriously? What's so ew about that guy? Honestly speaking, if I were you, I wouldn't take a minute in accepting the proposal", Haneen replied. It was as if she was telling me to reject the proposal so she could marry Omar instead. Actually, that wouldn't be so bad.

"Really?" I pretended like I was really asking her. She didn't get it so she simply nodded. "Then I guess you should marry him. Nobody said I was bound to marry him- It can be anybody. Right baba?" I asked my dad as I sat down with my family once again. He shook his head.

"My father- your grandfather, named the house after you and Omar. You two are his oldest grandkids", My father explained. I lightly punched the arm rest.

"Why did I have to be the oldest?" I replied as I clenched my fist.

"Why can't she reject him if she doesn't like him? Baba it would be a forced marriage if you guys get strict on this matter", Hammad finally spoke up. I was surprised he was finally saying something wise, and not something about his bed being broken again. My parents looked at each other and stayed quiet. If Hammad changed their thoughts and perspectives on this wedding, I'm going to owe him all that I had.