Chapter 2.

"What do you want me to wear? A wedding dress?" - Safa Muhammad, Gravity.

Chapter 2 -

" What do you think of me? "

☻Safa Muhammad ☻

I stood in the balcony and watched as cars drove by. The wind blew my hair lightly and I had to tuck it behind my ear every now and then. Zahra and Haneen were getting ready for school; while Hammad, my brother, was taking a day off from college. I, on the other hand, was waiting for my car. My dad had taken it to the mechanic to get it fixed and while I waited, I thought about what my parents wanted. I do remember Omar but only 'til he was in 1st grade. After that, his family moved away and then I didn't get to spend time with him when I was in 1st grade. I was only 2 when they moved, so I wasn't lying when I said I didn't even know what he looked like. Mama told me he was in medical school and was soon to be a cardiologist, but good looks and good studies wasn't all I looked for. I wanted someone who could be my bestfriend; who could understand me. How will he understand me when we barely even interacted?

I wanted to fulfill my grandfather's wish no matter what. I didn't care if I didn't get along with Omar, but I knew my grandfather would be happy up there in Jannah if I did as he wanted. Mama and Baba were both just waiting for my final answer; even though I didn't have a choice. I had to say yes anyway because they wouldn't hear a 'no' for an answer. Mama was already shopping for my clothes and Haneen and Zahra were already fighting over the shoes they both had planned on wearing to my possible near wedding. I sighed. I will have to take this big step; and Allah knew it was only because of my grandfather. Why couldn't he write something else in his will?

I got my bag and books from my room and headed downstairs. My dad still wasn't back so I sat down on the couch, revising for my test once again. I felt my mom's stare at me as I read but I didn't look at her.

When I couldn't bare it anymore, I looked at her. "Yeah?" I said.

"I'm still waiting for your answer", she said. I rolled my eyes. "You said that like I have a choice", I said.

"Safa, Omar is an amazing guy. You-

"Mom, I get that he's very good looking and is going to be a doctor, but I don't care about that. If I can't be friends with him, how can I bond with him?" I said.

"Bonding isn't necessary", she commented. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Bonding isn't necessary? How do you expect me to spend my entire life with him without bonding?" I asked her. She stayed quiet. I guess she really had ran out of answers but on the other hand, I felt bad for talking back to her. I made her speechless; how wrong was that?

I let out a deep sigh before speaking. "Mom, I'm not saying no for an answer. Its just that I need time to think it over. I mean, you tell me, will I really be able to be the same old 'pal' of his' when we haven't talked for more than 10 years?" I said as I sat down next to her. She stroked my hair gently. "If you'll do it for your parents' sake, Allah will help you through everything", she told me.

I stared at her. Allah did make things easy for you if you make things easy for your parents; or anyone.

"Mama, I'll marry Omar. But again, it's only because of you, baba and my grandpa. I have no interest in Omar whatsoever", I said politely. She smiled.

"You will, once you see him. He's very handsome", she kissed my forehead. "JazakAllah khair Safa. May Allah always keep you happy."

"And may you find a lovely spouse", said Haneen as she entered the living room. I laughed. "Why does it always have to be a lovely 'spouse'?" I said. Somehow she always seemed to be around whenever mama or baba were praising me and giving me a dua. The house could never be quiet with Haneen around. But I loved it.