xi. HARRY POTTER'S EXCELLENCY

CHAPTER ELEVEN
xi: HARRY POTTER'S EXCELLENCY

          'BUT HE WAS OBVIOUSLY SHOWING off for Parkinson, wasn't he?'

They were situated in the common room the next morning before heading down to breakfast and Harry had just finished telling Hermione about Malfoy.

'Well,' she said uncertainly, 'I don't know. It would be like Malfoy to make himself seem more important than he is ... but that's a big lie to tell...'

'Exactly,' Harry said, but decided not to press on considering how there were people trying to listen in on their conversation. Not only that, they were pointing and whispering, Julianna felt alarmed.

'There's a fifty-fifty chance, you know?' Julianna whispered. 'It's very likely he's a Death Eater since his father works for You-Know-Who. Plus, his father got thrown in jail.'

'Well, what if he's faking it?' Ron argued.

'That's why I said it's fifty-fifty, we don't even have solid proof.'

Ron's eyebrows furrowed in slight frustration. 'It's rude to point,' he snapped at a particularly minuscule first-year boy as they joined the queue to climb out of the portrait hole. The boy was muttering something about Harry behind his hand to his friend and immediately turned scarlet and toppled out of the hole.

Ron sniggered. 'I love being a sixth year. And we're going to be getting free time this year. Whole periods when we can just sit up here and relax.'

'We're going to need that time for studying, Ron!' Hermione said, as they set off down the corridor.

Julianna groaned and threw her head back slightly. 'Not studying again.'

'Even Julianna agrees,' Ron laughed. 'But not today... today's going to be a real loss, I reckon.'

'Hold it!' Hermione threw out an arm and halted a passing fourth year student who was attempting to push past her with a lime-green disk clutched tightly in his hand. Good luck there, Hermione Granger's eyes are sharper than the rest.

'Fanged Frisbees banned, hand it over,' she told him sternly. The scowling boy handed over the snarling Frisbee, ducked under her arm, and took off after his friends. Ron waited for him to vanish, then tugged the Frisbee from Hermione's grip.

'Excellent, I've always wanted one of these.' He observed the Frisbee and Hermione was about to reprimand Ron but a loud giggle interrupted. It belonged to none other than Lavender Brown, somehow she was finding Ron amusing and she continued to laugh as she passed them, glancing back at Ron over her shoulder. Ron looked rather pleased with himself.

Julianna quirked her eyebrow in interest. 'What's that all about?' Ron shrugged with a smug look on his face.

The ceiling of the Great Hall was serenely blue and streaked with frail, wispy clouds, just like the squares of sky visible through the high mullioned windows. While they tucked into porridge and eggs and bacon, Harry, Ron and Julianna told Hermione about their embarrassing conversation with Hagrid the previous evening.