xxii. ANOTHER LESSON, ANOTHER APOLOGY

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO
xxii: ANOTHER LESSON, ANOTHER APOLOGY

          JULIANNA WAS DREADING HER lesson with Dumbledore and Harry for many reasons. First, she had to be in the same room with Harry. Second, Harry Potter. Third, Harry James Potter. Need any more explanation?

The lamps in Dumbledore's office were lit when Julianna entered, the portraits of previous headmasters were snoring gently in their frames, and the Pensieve was ready upon the desk once more. Dumbledore's hands lay on either side of it, the right one as blackened and burnt-looking as ever. Julianna averted her gaze from the headmaster's evident injury and realized Harry wasn't present yet.

'You aren't with Harry,' Dumbledore noted and Julianna tensed in alarm. 'Anything wrong?'

'Not...really,' Julianna said with uncertainty in her voice, then gave Dumbledore a small friendly smile since she didn't know what more to say.

Dumbledore hummed thoughtfully. 'Whatever it is, I hope it gets resolved soon,'

Just as coincidentally, Harry entered. Julianna whipped her head towards his approaching figure and made a momentary eye contact with him, but to her disappointment, he was the one who looked away first.

'Professor,'

'Harry,' Dumbledore greeted. 'I hear that you met the Minister of Magic over Christmas?' Julianna glanced at Harry in interest, remembering her godfather telling her about this as well.

'Yes,' Harry answered politely. 'He's not very happy with me.'

'No,' Dumbledore sighed. 'He is not very happy with me either. We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on.'

Harry grinned. 'He wanted me to tell the wizarding community that the Ministry's doing a wonderful job.'

Dumbledore smiled. 'It was Fudge's idea originally, you know. During his last days in office, when he was trying desperately to cling to his post, he sought a meeting with you, hoping that you would give him your support –'

'After everything Fudge did last year?' Harry said angrily. 'After Umbridge?' Just from hearing her name, Julianna frowned, suddenly having no more interest in their conversation, letting it drown into the background as she stared at the snoring portraits.

Behind Harry and Julianna, Fawkes the phoenix let out a low, soft, musical cry which earned Julianna's attention back as she looked at Dumbledore and Harry with a clear question mark. But then, she suddenly realized that Dumbledore's bright blue eyes looked rather watery. When Dumbledore spoke, however, his voice was quite steady.

'I am very touched, Harry.'

'Scrimgeour wanted to know where you go when you're not at Hogwarts,' Harry said, looking fixedly at his knees.