xiv. HOGSMEADE AND FLYING KATIE

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
xiv: HOGSMEADE AND FLYING KATIE

           WHERE WAS DUMBLEDORE, AND what was he doing? Julianna caught sight of the Headmaster only twice over the next few weeks

           WHERE WAS DUMBLEDORE, AND what was he doing? Julianna caught sight of the Headmaster only twice over the next few weeks. He rarely appeared at meals anymore, and Julianna was sure Hermione was right in thinking that he was leaving the school for days at a time. Had Dumbledore forgotten the lessons he was supposed to be giving her and Harry? Dumbledore had said that the lessons were leading to something to do with her and Harry's prophecy. All Julianna hoped for was that Dumbledore is safe.

Halfway through October came their first trip of the term to Hogsmeade. Julianna had wondered whether these trips would still be allowed, given the increasingly tight security measures around the school, but was pleased to know that they were going ahead; it was always good to get out of the castle grounds for a few hours.

Julianna woke early on the morning of the trip, which was proving stormy, and whiled away the time until breakfast by reading her unfinished story book. She definitely needed to catch up with her ready. At least an hour later, Hermione got up and together they went down for breakfast.

'... and then there was another flash of light and I landed on the bed again!' Ron grinned, helping himself to sausages.

Ron had just told Hermione and Julianna about the amusing story of how Harry had levitated him by his ankle with a newfound spell. Julianna brandished a smile, laughing softly in entertainment but Hermione had not cracked a smile during this anecdote, and now turned an expression of wintry disapproval upon Harry.

'Was this spell, by any chance, another one from that potion book of yours?' she asked.

Harry frowned at her and Julianna's smile dropped, staring questioningly at him too.

'Always jump to the worst conclusion, don't you?'

'Was it?'

'Well... yeah, it was, but so what?'

'So you just decided to try out an unknown, handwritten incantation and see what would happen?'

'Why does it matter if it's handwritten?' Harry said, preferring not to answer the rest of the question.

'Because it's probably not Ministry of Magic approved,' Hermione said. 'And also,' she added, as Harry and Ron rolled their eyes, 'because I'm starting to think this Prince character was a bit dodgy.'

Harry and Ron glanced at Julianna for her opinion and she shrugged. 'I agree.'

Both Harry and Ron shouted them down at once.

'It was a laugh!' Ron said, upending a ketchup bottle over his sausages. 'Just a laugh, Hermione, that's all!'

'Dangling people upside down by the ankle?' Hermione said. 'Who puts their time and energy into making up spells like that?'