xx. CHRISTMAS DAY

CHAPTER TWENTY
xx: CHRISTMAS DAY

          IT WAS EARLY MORNING AND THE sun had not risen yet

          IT WAS EARLY MORNING AND THE sun had not risen yet. Julianna was shivering from head to toe from the cold wind as she walked to Cottage Road. When Julianna broke the news to Sirius and Remus, they were annoyed at the fact that they weren't invited and it took them a while to understand why.

'I know it's not safe, but we're family, aren't we?' Julianna remembered Sirius frowning as he said that. So here she was, cold and shivering, holding a bag of presents from Sirius and Remus to give to her family.

As Julianna looked around, she suddenly understood why her mother had asked her to choose Cottage Road. The houses were all abandoned and there was not a single soul anywhere. But it only made Julianna feel more frightened in the dark.

'Psst, psst...'

Julianna tensed, her eyes widening as she turned her head slowly to where the source of the sound came from. She knew she couldn't use magic outside the school and that made her feel even more scared. She turned her head swiftly to look-

'Mum?' Edith was waiting for her outside an abandoned house and Julianna's heartbeat stabilised knowing it's not someone or something trying to kill her.

Her mother smiled widely at her as Julianna jogged towards her, the presents making a significantly loud noise while she did so. Edith opened her arms wide and Julianna jumped into them, feeling her mother's warmth spread all over her body. It felt as though she was home once more.

'Happy Christmas, sweetheart.'

'Happy Christmas, Mum.' Julianna whispered.

The moment could last forever and ever but it seemed like Edith was in a rush as she gently pulled away from Julianna, giving her a small kiss on the forehead before leaning in. 'Come in, we need to leave before the sun rises.'

'To where?' Julianna questioned as Edith pulled her inside the house and pushed her onto the couch.

'Back to our house, of course.'

'How's that going to work?'

Edith grinned mischievously and crossed her arms. 'By magic. Like this, 1...2...3...'

Her mother's words faded into a blur and Julianna felt her surroundings turning black before she realised she's going unconscious.

'Wakey, wakey, sunshine.'

Julianna woke with a gasp, her body bolted straight up and her heart raced. It felt like a deja vu. Did what just happened actually happened? Where was she even?

'You're at home, in your bed.' Edith said calmly as though she had heard what her daughter was thinking.

'What? How? When...' Julianna faltered, deciding to disregard the logic of magic altogether. 'You know what, don't answer.'