Chapter 2: Dreams

The people's clothes were old fashioned, and the chattering was in Italian. Nico remembered his Italian. He looked around and realized he recognized the place. It was definitely somewhere in Venice. And it was Venice in 1937. Nico didn't know how he knew, but he just did.

   It was night. Most of the shops around him were closed, and the ones that were open, people flocked to. But not one lady, who was walking with two young children. The three of them were facing away from him, but Nico realized that that lady was his mother, which would mean the other two were him and Bianca.

   Nico walked closer to his family so he could hear what they were saying.

   "Mama, where are we going?" It was Bianca, speaking in Italian. She looked about 7, which would make Nico 5.

   "You're going to go home. The house is right over there." She pointed to a house down the street, and that's when Nico realized why he recognized the area so much. He literally lived just down the street.

   "Then where are you going?" Bianca asked.

   "I just have to go do something, alright? I will be right back." Maria said.

   Maria let go of Nico's small fingers and told him to hold Bianca's hand.

   "Mama!" Young Nico whined.

   "It's okay, Nico. Go with your sister. I will be back soon."

   "Come on, Nico! Let's go home!" Bianca said, grabbing Nico's hand.

   Little Nico sniffled, but held onto Bianca's hand tightly.

   Nico watched as him and Bianca left. He wanted to follow them, but he was more curious about his mom.

   Maria walked down a dark alleyway, Nico following not far behind. They walked for about five minutes before Maria stopped at a run-down looking building and stepped inside. Nico was about to follow her inside, but then he felt the dream start to fade.

   "No!" He yelled, trying to grasp onto the dream. But it was too late. He could no longer see his mom.

   Nico gasped as he jolted awake. He just sat in his bed for minutes trying to make sense of his dream. He knew well enough from being a demigod that dreams like these weren't just dreams. Nico was definitely seeing something from his past. But what? Where was his mom going, and what was she doing there?

    He thought long and hard. He tried to remember something, anything from that day. But he was 5 years old. He was young. The only thing Nico really remembered from that time was that he was always scared. It was because of Mussolini and tensions because people felt another world war coming, but Nico didn't understand that back then. He just knew something was wrong.

   He took a deep breath and crawled out of bed. The clock on his side table read 3:37 AM. Nico sighed. That was the third time in a week he had had a mysterious dream centered around his mom. Each time it would end in her walking inside the old building, and it made no more sense than the first two times he had seen it.