Chapter 53: Remnants of a Life

Shit! I just realized there was a glitch and this chapter was never uploaded! I guess I was so distracted last week that I managed to not upload a whole chapter! I'm sorry!

Nico and Will were standing outside of the Zeus cabin, gathering the courage to go inside.

Who knows what was in there? Would it just be general things, or would it be more personal? How much stuff had he left behind when he left for California?

Finally, he walked through the door. It looked very similar to how it was last time, just with less things, and there was dust.

Holding Will's hand for support, the boys walked over to the bed and drawers that had been put in place while Jason was living there.

Nico traced his hand over the light blue bedspread of Jason's bed. Apparently Jason didn't need that kind of stuff when he left.

He walked over to Jason's dresser and cabinets. He opened up his dresser. Nico felt weird going through his friend's stuff like this, but he was sure that many other people had to do this when someone they cared about died.

There wasn't much in his dressers. Usually campers didn't have much clothes to begin with, and it looked like that the clothes Jason did have he took with him. All there was were a couple of Camp Half-Blood and Camp Jupiter T-Shirts. There was an SPQR sweatshirt in there, and Nico held it up.

"Would it be weird if I wore this? It just reminds me of him."

Will shook his head. "It's not weird to me, at least."

"I should probably get a bag, in case I want to keep anything else. And a bag for the stuff I don't keep..."

"I'll get some plastic bags."

Nico was left alone in the Zeus cabin. He looked around him and thought that this was all the proof that Jason had ever lived here.

Nico looked at the huge unnecessary statue of Zeus in the middle of the room. He wondered how Jason ever slept with that thing staring down at him."You sure have a knack for having kids that like to die for their friends, huh?" Then in a quieter voice, "Even if you could die, you wouldn't do it for someone you cared about. So where did they get it from?"

The cabin was eerily silent. It didn't feel right for this cabin to be empty. For it to not be used again until Zeus had another child and they came to Camp. It was depressing.

Will came back with bags. Nico took one of them and put the sweatshirt in it.

He looked through the drawers of Jason's things. There were pencils, a notebook, a flashlight, and a couple of pens. That was all that Jason had left in this room. Bedding, a couple of shirts, and a few things in a drawer. Nico thought about Jason's life. Did he even have that many personal belongings? He was sent to Lupa when he was 2, and then spent the remainder of his life at Camp Jupiter until he was sent to Camp Half-Blood. He probably didn't have much to begin with.

Nico took out the notebook and went through the pages. A lot of the pages were about redesigning Camp Jupiter, but he stopped at a page where he saw his name in Sharpie pen.

Getting Nico and Will together: AKA Mission Solangelo

Is that a good mission name or what? Put the last names di Angelo and Solace together, and you get Solangelo!

Okay, now that Nico is over Percy, he has to be with Will! Nico totally likes him, I've seen him blush around him a lot. I mean, he even let Will make him stay in the infirmary! And Nico always does what he wants, so if he listened to him he must really like him. Nico really deserves someone, and I think Will is the perfect person for him. He's kind. He's calm and laid-back, but he can also be stubborn when it comes to people's well beings. He can keep an eye out for Nico, make sure he's okay while me and Hazel aren't around. Will can help him get better and grow into himself. He can be like the light to Nico's dark.

Now, signs that Will might like Nico:

-He seems really worried about Nico, and almost forced him to spend time in the infirmary

-Will constantly checks up on him in the infirmary. I even heard he spent the night by Nico's bed!

-Will seems to really want to be his friend. Like really badly.

-I saw Will blush a couple of times when they were talking to each other! (Not as much as Nico blushes, though.) And the way Will looks at Nico, oh gods. That's a boy with a crush.

-They literally always hang out together

Signs that Nico has a crush on Will (which I'm 99.99 percent sure he does, I just want to write it down):

-Nico always blushes around Will

-When Nico cares about someone, he sometimes pretends he hates them (I E: rolling his eyes, frowning, distancing self, insulting, things like that)

-Sometimes Nico has a hard time making eye contact with Will

-Nico actually listens to Will. Nico is very stubborn, and he usually doesn't listen to other people, or do what is suggested of him. With Will he does

-Nico kind of follows him around like a lost puppy, if I'm being honest

-Like I said before, they're always hanging out. Nico doesn't usually hang out with people or socialize, but yet he does with Will

Update: Nico confessed to me that he likes Will! I knew it! Honestly, I think I knew before he did.

Update again: Mission Solangelo complete!

Nico couldn't stop himself from crying. Jason had done all of this for him?

Nico silently handed the page over to Will. Nico watched his face as he read it: he was smiling but he looked sad. At certain parts he would let out a laugh.

Nico had so many questions. How did Jason know all of this? Was he really hanging with Will so often that his friend started to notice how they acted around each other? How could Jason figure out that Nico had a crush on Will before even he himself knew?

"We were pretty dumb, huh?" Nico said after Will had finished reading.

"Yeah. Both of us. We just....didn't see the signs."

Nico wiped at his eyes. "I can't believe Jason was secretly trying to get us together this whole time."

Nico sat on Jason's bed and sobbed. "I can't do this. I can't do any of this without him."

Will set the notebook down and sat down next to him. "Hey." 

"Why is living so hard? I can't go on, Will. It's just too painful. Every day I wake up and remember he's gone again, if I can even fall asleep at all. I just can't live."

"If you can't live for yourself yet, live for other things. Live for your sister, live for Halloween, live for the trees, for the grass, for gay marriage being legalized. Just live for things like that until you can live for yourself. And listen to me: You are not okay. Not today, not tomorrow, not weeks from now, and that's okay. You don't have to be okay right now, but slowly, and surely, one day you will be. I promise."

"He was supposed to grow up, graduate High School, make new shrines in Camp Jupiter. He was supposed to go on to have a future. Maybe get married and have kids. He was supposed to have a long and healthy life. Then all of that was just taken away from him."

Will hugged them, and they sat like that for a while.

"Piper said that all of the things Jason needed for redesigning Camp Jupiter were in his dorm, and they're now safely at Camp Jupiter. He must not have needed this anymore. You can take it if you want." Will said finally.

Nico nodded and put it in his bag. He put the other things in his bag, as well.

Nico decided not to take the bedding off. He didn't know if someone might need some extra sheets or something, they could just use these.

The two were walking out of the cabin now. He looked back inside one last time.

Jason, my ultimate wingman. He thought to himself. I miss you.

Taking one last look into the room, he closed the door.