Chapter 39: Ringing Ears

It was dark outside. Usually, everyone would be heading to their cabins at this time, and almost everyone was. But there was a meteor shower, and Nico and Will were watching it outside when they should have been sleeping. The harpies never bothered them.

"Make a wish." Will told him as one bolted past.

"What will you wish for now, now that you can't wish for us to date anymore?" Nico teased.

"Hey! There's nothing wrong with that! And anyways, it came true, didn't it?"

Nico squeezed Will's hand. "Yeah."

After a few minutes, another meteor trailed across the sky. Nico closed his eyes and made a wish. He wished that things could stay like this.

"You know what day it is today?" Will asked Nico.

Nico knew. Of course he knew. "It's our 5 months. How could I forget?"

Will grinned and faced Nico.

"Will?" Nico asked him.

"Yeah?"

"Do you ever think about the future?"

"All the time."

Nico felt nervous. "Well, um, am I...am I in it?"

Will smiled gently. "Nico, you are it."

Nico covered his face to hide his blush. "Well that was smooth."

After Nico regained his composure, he looked Will right in the eyes.

He was going to do it. What better time was there than this? A beautiful meteor shower, an anniversary that marked almost 6 months, the words Will had just said. He was going to do it. He was going to tell Will that he loved him.

"Um, I need to tell you something." Nico stated. He felt himself twisting his skull ring.

"What is it?"

"Well, I wanted to tell you just how much you mean to me. I've told you this before, but I really never thought I could be happy again. I really didn't. Then I started liking you. And I realized that it was possible to be happy again. You've been able to do so much for me, and I never would have thought that I would end up in such a cheesy relationship, but here I am. And I don't regret a second of it."

Nico smiled. "I've been wanting to say this for a while now. I just haven't been able to." He shut his eyes. "Will, I lo-"

The smile dropped from his face as his ears began to ring.

Nico knew that feeling. He knew it too well. It got louder, and everything else was drowned out.

Once he realized who it was, he fell to his knees. Everything felt like it was in slow motion.

He was vaguely aware of the rocks underneath him hitting his legs, but that didn't matter. Nothing mattered. Nothing but this.

"No, no, no, no, no, no." He repeated, shaking.

He felt Will's hand on his shoulder. He saw his concerned face. Nico thought that maybe he asked what was wrong.

Weakly, Nico said one word. "Jason."

That quickly, the important words that Nico was going to tell Will were long forgotten.

It looked like Nico's wish wasn't going to come true like Will's had.

-----------

Welp. We're here. Nico has felt Jason's death, and everything after this point is very angsty, and the whole story basically changes after this. It's filled with Nico's grief and it's very sad. So I'm warning you right now. Next Saturday is when I upload more. If you don't want to read some really sad shit, if you don't want to read a very vivid and depressing (at least to me) reaction, then you can stop here. I understand, I promise. I just don't want you guys getting triggered or anything. So this is a trigger warning. Mental health comes first, you guys. I hope to see you all next week, but if you decide that you can't, that's okay. Take care of yourself.