Chapter 48: May I Have This Dance?

Apparently, Hazel forgot to leave out one very important detail when Nico had asked what had been going on at Camp Jupiter as of late; she was a Praetor, now that Reyna was a Hunter.

Nico was happy for her. He was proud. That was a really big accomplishment. He congratulated Hazel and kissed her cheek. She offered Nico and Will her Praetor room, and the only reason Nico accepted was because he didn't want the other Campers to see him not being able to fall asleep, or waking up from nightmares. Or just the fact that he didn't like sleeping in front of people in general.

He had another sleepless night, and another meal left uneaten.

He couldn't stop thinking about Tartarus, he couldn't stop thinking about the jar, or the Labyrinth, or his mom dying, or his sister dying, or Jason dying, or Eros, or growing up in the 30's. The thoughts wouldn't leave when all he wanted was for them to go away. They repeated in his mind again and again and again. Why was this all happening?

While his mind filled with horrible memories, and his back was hurting again for some reason, and he felt like he was going to jump out of his skin whenever a noise was too loud, he tried to get through the day.

He tried not to say anything to Will. He didn't want to worry him any more than he already had. But Will always knew when Nico was upset.

"I really don't know what's wrong with me, Will."

"Hey, just try to relax, okay? We'll figure this out when we get back home. I know who to take you to."

Nico sighed. "Okay. When are we leaving?"

"Tomorrow morning."

"Okay. I'm going to try to spend as much time as I can with Hazel today, and see Reyna tomorrow."

"Are you sure you're ready to see her?" Will asked.

"I wouldn't say I'm ready, but if I don't see her tomorrow, who knows when I'll ever see her again."

"Alright. Whatever you want to do."

"I do want you to come with me, though. You need to meet her."

Will grinned. "That sounds like a good idea, but first we have to go to the party!"

"What party?"

"The party Camp Jupiter is hosting to celebrate Camp Half-Blood being here, of course!"

"I don't like parties. Camp Jupiter has never even held a party before, at least to my knowledge." Nico whined.

Will shrugged. "I'm excited."

"Of course you are. So when does it start?"

"I don't know, a couple of hours."

They heard a knock on the door. "It's Hazel. Can I come in?"

Nico opened up the door, and she stepped inside. She was holding clothes.

"So, I have a favor for you, Nico." She said.

"Yeah? What's up?"

"Well, I really miss the dances I used to do as a kid-"

"No." Nico cut her off. He knew where she was going with that. "No, I will not do any of those dances again."

Her eyes turned sad. "Please, big brother? Nobody else knows how to do them."

"Go teach your boyfriend." Nico suggested.

"But I want to do it with you! Someone who was actually from the era, like me! I want to dance with my brother."

"Those dances are humiliating."