Chapter 7: Testing Confidence

Nico stood up. It was a dry but windy day, and the streets in front of him were bustling with people. Will and Nico decided to go into the city so that they could get clothes for whenever Apollo came back to camp, and apparently Will wanted to buy Nico a Valentine's day present. It wasn't even February yet! Nico thought the holiday was cheesy and stupid, and he especially didn't like it after his run in with Eros.

"So, where are we going first?" Nico asked.

Will thought about it for a minute. "Maybe we should head to Marshall's. It isn't too far away from here."

"Alright."

Once they were in the store, Will picked out some pairs of clothing. "Do you think he would fit in these?" Will asked, holding up a blue T-shirt.

"Uh, I think so." Nico replied.

After they rang up the clothes, they went back out into the streets of New York.

"So, I think a good place to get a Valentine's day present is Target." Will told Nico. "Especially because we're on a budget."

"Okay."

"So, what is your beef with Valentine's day, anyways? I get that some people think it's stupid, but you seemed like you didn't want me getting you a present."

"It's nothing."

Will looked at Nico. "Nico, I know you. I know when something is upsetting you, and this clearly is."

Nico looked at his feet. "It's stupid."

"I'm sure it isn't."

The couple walked in silence for a while until Nico finally answered him. "I've met him. Eros."

"Really? When?"

"When we were trying to stop Gaea from taking over the world. We went to Croatia, and me and Jason had to go get Diocletian's spear. That's when we met him."

They kept walking for a few minutes before Nico continued.

"In order to get Diocletian's spear, I had to admit who I loved. When I refused, he shot arrows at me. I was so scared of people finding out, I really didn't want to admit it not only to a god, but to Jason, who I hardly knew and who thought it was best to not come and save me when I was captured. I eventually admitted that I used to love Percy, and I almost cried. It was very embarrassing and traumatizing. I don't really want to celebrate a day that's about him."

Will stopped walking and just stared at Nico very sadly. "Nico, when will you start telling me these things and not keeping them a secret? If you would have told me this before, I wouldn't have come out here. I'm really sorry I didn't listen to you. And I'm sorry that that happened."

"It's not your fault. You're right, I should have told you."

"Do you want to go home?" Will asked.

Nico was silent for a few moments. "You know what? Let's get each other presents. This day isn't about Eros, it's about us. Plus, I want to see what all the fuss is about."

"Are you sure? We really don't have to if you don't want to."

"I'm sure. I'm not going to not get my boyfriend something for Valentine's day."

Will's eyes widened. "Nico, you accidentally said it again!"

Nico gave Will a small smile. "Was it an accident?"

Will grinned. "Target is this way."

Once they got into the store, Will turned to Nico. "Will you be okay by yourself?"