Chapter 38: Band-aids

"Stop lying to me, Will!"

"I'm not lying." Will said calmly.

"You obviously are! There's no way that that is true!"

"Nico, I know that it's probably hard to believe-"

"Hard? It's impossible!"

Rosemary looked on in amusement, sipping on her Gatorade. Will had a lot left over, because he used to give it to Nico after he used his powers. It didn't work as well as Kit Kats, though, so they stopped using it.

The 3 of them were in the Apollo cabin. Will was trying to catch Nico and Rosemary up on current events. They started in the 1880's for Rosemary. Nico knew most of that stuff up to the late 1930's, then after that, everything was new to him. Some of it was a little hard to believe, but then Will brought up the Moon Landing in the 1960's. There was no way Nico would believe that.

"There's no air on the moon, Will!"

"Nico, they brought the air with them. In tanks."

"What's even on the moon?! Nothing! There's nothing to do!"

"So? No one had been there before, so it was something new."

Nico sat down. "Going to the moon, huh?" Nico sighed. "So it really isn't made out of cheese? There's no man on the moon?"

"Nope. Just rock and stuff."

"Well, I believe it!" Rosemary exclaimed.

"Of course you do, you're a gullible child. You'll believe anybody." Nico told her.

"Hey!" She pouted. "What does gullible mean?"

"Nico, it really happened. There are videos, pictures, so much stuff."

"Then why aren't people living on the moon right now? Or at least going to the moon right now?"

"Because it was really hard getting there to begin with."

"But that was like 50 years ago!"

"And?"

Nico kicked his foot against the ground.

"Nico, I'm not lying to you. This really happened."

"Okay, fine. I believe you." Nico mumbled.

"Thank you. I understand it must be crazy to think about."

Will went on to talk about more events, like the Vietnam War, Kennedy's assassination, 9\11. It was a LOT of information, but he was sure that Rosie was having an even harder time with it.

"So why did you decide to do this now?" Nico asked. "Why not months ago?"

"Well, I heard Rosemary say she didn't know what a phone was, so I thought it was a good idea."

"Will, these are mostly just American things, right?"

"A lot of it's worldwide, like TVs and phones and stuff."

"Yeah, but a lot of it centers on America, right?" Nico questioned.

"Yeah."

"What about things that happened in Italy?"

Will looked down. "I'm sorry. I-I don't really know a lot about Italy. I would definitely educate myself, but no internet. I'm sorry."

"Oh. It's okay."

Will's eyes lit up. "Oh! I know! We can ask Chiara! Let me finish this version, though."

Later, after Chiara had come in and told him about major events in Italy, he felt like his head was swimming. He was glad he knew now, though. He hated it when people talked about things and he didn't get it.

Will held his hand as the two of them walked towards the infirmary. Will checked on the one patient he had at the moment, a little boy called Ben, and he gave him a cartoon band-aid on his hand, where there was a small cut.

"Wow, you have kiddish stuff here?" Nico commented.

Will chuckled. "Have I ever told you about my first year at Camp, when everyone realized I was good at healing people?"

"Not really."

"Well, Percy was here one day. He had fallen asleep while in the infirmary, and since I was training to be a medic, they sent me in. Heck, I didn't know what to do. I just stuck a whole bunch of band-aids on him and called it a day. I didn't know who Percy was at the time, actually."

Nico actually gave a small laugh. "I really wish I could have seen that."

"Yeah, it was great. I never actually got to see his reaction."

"I'm sure he was confused."

Will dug out a bright yellow band-aid and stuck it on Nico's shirt, right over his heart.

"Here's a band-aid to heal a broken heart."

Nico rolled his eyes. "So cheesy." He kissed Will anyway.

Nico didn't need the band-aid, though. Slowly but surely, Will was helping to heal him. As much as could be healed, anyway.