Chapter 37: Fairness

"How are you feeling today, Rosemary?" Will asked his little sister after she woke up.

She smiled brightly. "Great! I didn't have a bad dream last night, either!"

"That's awesome!"

She jumped up and down. "I want to go play with Mrs. O'Leary!" She squealed.

"Okay, but you have to get dressed, brush your teeth, and eat breakfast first. Then I'm sure Nico will take you to see Mrs. O'Leary."

"Yay!" Then she stopped jumping. "Oh, yeah. I wanted to ask you. When is Essie coming back to Camp?"

"Essie? You mean Estelle?"

"Yeah! She was soooo cute, wasn't she?"

Will smiled. "She really is cute."

"Yeah! And tiny!"

"Okay, silly. Go get dressed."

She ran to the bathroom and shut the door.

"She really got over that fast, huh?" Kayla said, brushing her hair.

"I wouldn't say she's over it. I think that she's happy that she knows what her life was, and that she's ready to move past that. Because the way her life was supposed to go, the time she was supposed to be in, was a long time ago. Having no ties to that life probably helps her start a new one."

"Yeah, that makes sense. I just feel bad. She's so young."

"She is. But aren't we all too young? I mean, she's a lot younger than most of us, but Nico was just 7 when his mom died. Leo was only 8. Jason was 2 when he was sent to the wolves. There are so many other things I could name."

Kayla frowned. "I'm very grateful, you know? My dads, both of them, are alive. I came to Camp last year. I was a part of a war where all of my friends and siblings made it out. I'm lucky."

"You are lucky. But don't feel bad, Kayla. You don't control all of the things that have happened." He patted her shoulder. "Go get changed after Rosemary is done."

"Will?" She asked him.

"Yeah?"

"It's really not fair, is it? Some people have to go through so much pain and suffering, while others don't. I'm not just talking about demigods, either."

"It really isn't." He agreed.