6. lizard hunt

synopsis: while at dinner, you come across a little girl, who is searching for something. diluc starts to feel somewhat closer to you. 

-

you stared at diluc, unfortunately remembering the situation from earlier. 

"i.. dont?" you repeated, leaning your cheek into the palm of your hand in thought, "that's strange cause i hit you in the balls like twenty minutes ago, so thats a pretty funny comment coming from you-" you mumbled, without thinking after everything. it took you a second to sit straight up in realization, as if someone had slipped cold ice cubes down the back of your shirt. you'd thrown yourself onto the track of embarrassment.. again. 

great! GREAT. 

you noticed his cheeks flush, but wasn't really in the mood to tease him about it after all that you had said. the last thing you wanted to do was put yourself into a bigger, uglier pickle. your roommate; the one who literally tended to shut out and ignore everybody (including his stupid cheeky brother), felt that YOU were no longer a stranger to him anymore. 

"oddly enough, im starting to get used to it." 

"i only hit you in the balls once.."

mentally, you slapped your forehead. at this point, your mouth was blabbering all that it had wanted to without the permission of your brain. 

"i meant your personality in general, y/n.." 

you pressed your lips together into a thin line.

"of course you did! i think i ate some bad meat thats making me talk crazy.." you explained, shamelessly frying another piece of meat while speaking to him. the sight of you just doing this was enough to make you look like a clown in front of him. diluc was highly amused. 

"you must always be eating bad meat then, i assume?" 

"h-hey! what's that supposed to mean?!" 

just as a dispute was about to rise, it was slowly put to a halt by a little girl, who looked to be around eight or nine years of age. she was wearing red, a quite fashionable outfit if you did say so yourself, and her short platinum blonde hair was bunched up into two pigtails that hung at the sides of her face. she looked at the two of you in worry. 

"hi... have you seen my pet lizard? i lost him.." she spoke, her eyes quivering as if she was about to cry. she was swaying from side to side for a response from either of you, or actually just you since she didn't spare a single glance at the red head. diluc was the first to speak up.

"klee? what are you doing here? who are you with?" he said, looking around for anybody that was recognizable to him. klee's mother, alice, had been a close but distant friend. often times, diluc would find himself babysitting the child, while alice had work to tend to. 

the girl, klee, acted as if diluc hadnt spoken, before continuing to speak to you in a loud, and bad whisper. 

"that strange man never smiles, im very scared of him.." 

you almost burst out laughing at this. 

"yeah.. it's something he's working on.." you replied, beginning to look around near your table, "im sorry though, we havent seen any sign of a lizard near here.." 

klee frowned and slumped her shoulders. 

"alright.. miss jean is going to put me back in the confineme.. confinenen.. the bad room.." 

"jean? you know jean? how do you know diluc, too? and who're you with?" 

the little girl seemed to be bombared with your questions, and sniffled in sadness of never seeing the light of day ever again for losing her pet at a restaurant.