17. baking with the arsonist

synopsis: diluc struggles opening a jar. you find some new things out about klee. klee is confused about the relationship you and diluc hold.

-

"help, help, i cant open this jar!" klee cried, running around in circles in her room. you'd been babysitting the little child for over ten minutes now, ever since albedo had left you and your roomie to be. while your eyes widened at the sight of klee about to chuck the glass jar towards the wall, diluc swiftly strode over and took it out of her small hands. 

"hey! give that back you... you red weirdo!" she exclaimed, her tiny eyebrows furrowing angrily as she looked up at him. she then began to jump, acting like she was going to be able to reach it if she jumped high enough. whenever there would be a time where diluc would have to babysit klee, he would never grow bored. he shook his head. 

"don't be ridiculous, klee. i will open the jar for you," he said, crouching down to place the jar down onto klee's red dodoco printed tea table. you had noticed that her entire room was the theme was of this.. strange looking caricature.. what was up with children enjoying things that looked like straight up gremlins nowadays? 

you watched as diluc had rolled up his sleeves in order to pop the jar open, only, it wasnt popping open at all.. the lid refused to budge, causing diluc to give a tight lipped, yet confused smile. "that's odd.." he mumbled to himself, while the child crossed her arms in front of her chest, clearly unamused. 

she needed the jar to put her dodoco toy inside of it so that it would be safe! 

"um.. do you need help?" you asked the man, while he only continued to attempt to turn the jar without hesitating. the sight had nearly made you laugh, but laughing was probably not the best thing to have done while diluc looked so focused... he was so cute. 

if only you hadnt fucked up. 

well, actually, you didnt fuck up. your evil drunk twin.. THEY fucked up. 

you knew you would have to come clean to diluc sooner or later, as well as admit your feelings towards him. they were going to be onesided, you knew that for sure, but you really needed to get it off your chest. you didnt care if he felt the same way or not; there were, uh, plenty of fish in the sea...! 

you grimaced. 

"just give me that jar!" you snapped, grabbing it from him before you began to try for yourself. to your surprise, the jar popped open within a second of you having touched it. you blinked, once and then twice. 

"uh... here you go klee!" you said, giving the girl her jar and then turning towards a distraught looking diluc. he was embarrassed, that was for sure. you pat him gently on the chest. 

"hey, no biggie! maybe you loosened that jar up for me.." you stated, while he glared at you and then removed your hand from his chest. you frowned. were you overthinking it, or was he not acting like he usually did with you? 

you cleared your throat awkwardly, and looked towards the toddler who had shoved her mini stuffed toy into the jar before twisting the cap back on. she was.. an odd one.. there was no doubt about that, but the pale haired girl really did seem harmless to you. this was going to be a piece of cake. 

"so, klee! where's your pet lizard that we rescued last time? it would probably be good to f-" 

"oh, he went bye bye!" she said, not sparing you a glance as she laid on her fuzzy red carpet floors to look at her doll through the jar. her legs were swinging back and forth while she spoke. 

you and diluc exchanged glances. 

"he went what?" 

klee looked up at the two of you.