[10]

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything," Helena cleared her throat as she leaned against the doorway, watching them pull apart in a haste.

Both were red from embarrassment at being caught by the woman, but more so they were flustered to think of what could follow.

Surely Helena wasn't going to let them off without a thorough questioning.

"Dinner is laid out," she remarked breezily, "when you two are done, join me."

"Of course," Barbara stood up, trying to hide the prominent blush that was evident on her cheeks, "I'm coming right away."

Helena chuckled, turning to see Richard who was glaring back at her with a warning. It was clear that he was warning her not to tease them about what she just saw.

However, he also knew that it was futile to warn Helena as the woman always did the complete opposite. She was one of the very few people who could completely overrule his warnings and not suffer consequences.

"So I've said this to both of you separately but tonight I get to say it to your faces," Helena smiled as she sat down with them to have dinner which was no doubt going to be full of her teasing them, "you both have sexual tension thick enough for me to cut it with a butter knife even. So why don't you just get it over with?"

"Excuse me?"

"In other words, get a room," she chuckled, eyes sparkling with mirth.

"Helena please," Richard spoke up, "if I had known you would come too soon, I wouldn't have given you the opportunity to catch us."

"Oh I clearly asked if you wanted me to come later," she shrugged, "but you refused and I quote I am not going to try anything. Clearly misinterpreted you, didn't I?" 

Richard stared down at his plate feeling his cheeks heat up as well while he knew already that Barbara was blushing brighter than the crimson of her hair.

"Helena, can we talk this out later?" She spoke up at last, "I want to say it was an in the heat of the moment kind of thing but I am not really sure of it."

Icy blue eyes flickered towards her, a brow raised skeptically, "in the heat of the moment, really?"

"I said I'm not sure," she looked away, knowing that if she looked in those eyes again she would be tempted to kiss him again.

"Hey, stop, I don't need you guys arguing right after the first kiss," Helena remarked, grey eyes judging both their expressions, "if me teasing you makes you both uncomfortable, I'll stop."

"Thank you," they replied in unison.

"Though I have to say I am totally rooting for you guys to get together," she added with a bright smile on her face, "even if it will make me designated third wheel, I am willing to endure it. Just for you two because both of you are the most important people in this whole world to me."

His eyes softened, "aw Lena, that's so touching."

A soft smile had crept over Barbara's features too but she chose to remain silent.

"Anyway, about that investigation you were mentioning," Richard spoke up, addressing Barbara directly that once and managing to change the topic as well, "when do you reckon they will call me in?"

"The second they spot you."

"Ah, so it seems I might have to be Lena's guest a little longer..."

Helena shrugged, "whatever. Just tell the pipsqueak you're here or else goodness knows what he'll do if he gets worried. Real fond of you, that one."