[47]

The curtains were drawn over the stage and the audience burst into applause. It had truly been a wonderful performance and shortly after the curtains were parted again to reveal the actors bowing down to the audience. However, the applause was broken with a smash and maniacal laughter.

Gotham Theater had been attacked by none other than the Joker himself.

The applause turned into screams of terror as the doors were blasted apart and the clown maniac had smashed in through the ceiling, dropping down on the stage. All the actors stumbled away, seeing the machine gun held in his hand and quite a ruckus broke out as people wanted to make their escape.

"What a marvelous show," Joker remarked, his high pitched voice easily overpowering the noise, "I would be disappointed to leave so soon."

His men had stormed in as well, blocking all the exits much to the horror of the people held hostage in the theater. 

"And who do we have here? Mister Mayor, Sir," Joker lifted the hat from his head, eyes glinting in derision, "heartfelt compliments..."

Screams erupted from the audience as he had loaded his machine and opened fire, the Mayor had been the one to get shot first. And shortly after the rest of the people in the front row got barbecued by bullets.

Jason who was backstage heard all the clamor and knew they were all caught up in a severe situation. And true enough when the rounds of gunshots and screams sounded, he knew he should brace himself for the worst.

But he kept himself composed, focusing on what he could do to help the people without attracting danger towards himself.

He snuck out, knowing the passages by heart as he silently wormed his way from under the stage out into the main area. Once outside, his eyes took in the situation.

Joker was still on the stage and his men were blocking the exits.

If only Batman reached there in time and took on the Joker, he would be able to get the audience out through the emergency exit that no one used anymore.

Shortly after, the exits that were being blocked were rammed down as Batman and Huntress came to the rescue.

A deadly fight broke out between the vigilantes and the criminals though sirens of the GCPD and SWAT teams circling the area drew closer as well.

Jason took that distraction to advantage and approaching the people closest to him, he began to help them escape, directing them to the exit. He knew the teams would be outside by then and the people would be safe once out of the theater.

Joker had gone even crazy with laughter, launching fire at Huntress and Batman who were attacking his men in order to get to him.

Despite the fight going on, the arrows and the bullets flying everywhere, Jason managed to get as many people out as he could.

But deep down, he was just as anxious as the people all around knowing that they were in a very compromising situation. Joker was very unpredictable and there was no way he would give up that easily.

Besides, there were only two of the vigilantes against Gotham's worst criminal and his gang. The chances of survival were pretty low.

And he realized that with twice the intensity when he felt the barrel of Joker's machine gun poke him in the back. The psychotic clown had seen him helping people out and before he brought more people to the exit, he had been followed and cornered.

"Playing hero, are we? Let's give you the recognition you deserve," Joker's voice was a whisper as his hand fixed onto Jay's throat, pulling him up on stage.

The rest of the people fled, seeing Joker drag him away. Jason kicked him to escape but noticed the finger on the trigger and the chilling grin playing upon the maniac's lips.

"One silly movement and you're dead, boy." 

He caught sight of Richard who had seen him in Joker's grasp and frozen, unable to dodge the blow sent his way by the thug he was fighting against. A flash of anger at the Joker and fear of losing Jason flickered in his eyes as he disarmed the thug and pushed him down, wanting to get to the stage as soon as possible.

"He's got Jay," he whispered through the comm that connected him to Helena and Barbara.

Helena's voice reached him, "I'll take care of the rest, go get him. Oracle, send the teams in."

"Something's wrong," Barbara's voice came distorted as if their connection to Gotham Tower was being severed, "the GCPD and SWAT teams are down."

"What?"

Their links disconnected and shortly after, a series of crashes sounded as another sinister group broke into the theater.

"Aw man, and here I was going to use you to get out of here," Joker got stabbed in the back and had to let go of Jason who quickly scurried away from him.

It was difficult to see what exactly was going on as there seemed to be a rush of armored warriors throwing blades everywhere. He crouched down to avoid being hit but the pain in his shoulder indicated that he hadn't been so lucky.

Unable to find Jason, Batman panicked and the moment he realized who the people were that had just broken in, he knew the situation had gotten twice worse than earlier.

Talons.

One of them had crouched down where the corpses of the people who had gotten attacked in the front row first had fallen and took one of the bleeding corpses away. Joker had been dragged out too and most of his gang members were down. A whole lot of the Talons were battling Huntress and Batman, trying to drive them out of the theater.

And while Batman was trying his best to fight back, his attention was deviating towards Jason who he could no longer see.

He feared something terrible had happened to his younger brother during the battle and the thought was unbearable that once again he could not save his brother. He had already lost Tim, he couldn't bear to lose Jay as well.

A heavy darkness engulfed them making it hard to see and they had to resort to their instincts to keep fighting. They were both injured and it was getting harder to keep the Talons off for long.

At last the blows stopped and Richard straightened, feeling a familiar presence close to him. A hand lightly rested on his shoulder and he heard that unmistakable voice close to his ear, "your brother is safe. Take him and leave if you don't want to suffer further consequences."

He knew who that person was as he could recognize her anywhere, "Lavina..."

"Just take him and go."

Before he could react, she seemed to have vanished and the darkness was clearing up. He saw Helena had found Jason who was clutching his bleeding shoulder. He rushed to them but Jason pointed towards the Talons who were exiting.

"Stop them... They took the Mayor and Joker with them..."

Before he could follow, the Talon daggers came aimed towards them and the least he could do was push Helena and Jason out of the way. Right next moment, the GCPD and SWAT teams had burst in the theater as well and even they looked as if they had come right out of a warzone.

They were announcing that no one was allowed to leave the crime scene, not even the vigilantes.

"He's losing blood, we have to leave right now," Helena spoke up, "he needs to get treated."

Jason's jacket was soaking red with blood and the sight cut through Richard as he carried his brother. The teams would surround them if they didn't leave immediately so adjusting their grapple hooks, both Huntress and Batman left Gotham Theater through the open ceiling despite the teams threatening them to stop.

***