[31]

Jason looked around in wonder as he stepped into the building of Drake Corporate. He had slung his bag over his shoulder as he passed through the security check, eyes taking in the surroundings in awe.

He made his way to the reception desk and smiled at the lady, "I'm here to meet Timothy Drake."

Her eyes swept over him as if judging him, "for what reason?"

"I'm his friend."

The woman looked thoroughly uninterested as she asked, "does he know you're here, sir?"

His cheeks flushed slightly, noting that the last word was spoken in contempt, "no. But can you please tell him Jason is here to meet him?"

She nodded, picking up the intercom as she remarked, "he has a meeting in an hour."

"I know. I'll leave before that, I promise."

"Mister Drake, there's someone called Jason at the reception desk and he says he wants to meet you."

There was a pause from the other side and she was about to hang up and tell Jay off but the low voice sounded, "oh, Jason... Please send him to my office."

"Are you sure, Sir?" She seemed again as if uncertain of what she had heard.

"Yes. He's my friend, send him in."

"Very well," she hung up then turned to face Jason, "fifteenth floor, CEO's suite. Take this pass with you."

Jason smiled brightly at her and took the pass, "thank you very much."

He went to the elevator and stepped in, pressing the fifteenth button. A few more people stepped in along with him, all exchanging a brief glance with him then settled in.

It took a while to reach the designated floor however, as Jay stepped out, he looked down at the pass to see it showed a map of the floor with the CEO's suite highlighted on it.

Following the directions, he paused in front of a door which had the name plate Jack Drake fixed on it.

He knocked and waited for a reply. Soon enough, Tim's unmistakably soft voice sounded, "come in."

He pushed open the door and stepped into what was probably the biggest office he had ever seen. It was a full suite with a working space, a leisure area and a wide expanse for holding conferences.

He stood there in awe until Tim came up to him, shaking him out of his bedazzled stupor.

"Hello, Jaybird."

"Timmy, hi!" He smiled and shook the delicate hand held out towards him, "I hope you didn't mind me coming here..."

"Of course I don't mind," he led him in, "in fact I'm glad you came. I was getting bored on my own."

"Oh I got you something," his smile widened as he opened his bag and took out a packed lunch box, "Dickie said you liked my cooking last time so I thought I'll bring something for you."

His eyes lit up, "what is it?"

"Have you had lunch yet?"

He shook his head, "nope."

"That's great, let's have lunch together," Jason suggested and watched the boy nod eagerly.

At that moment he could see why Richard was so fond of the adorable young boy. There was absolutely no way one could not be fond of him.

"Here, you choose," he pushed the lunch box in front of him and Tim opened it, taking out the tiers of the box one by one.

Each tier contained a different dish and Tim looked in wonder at the display of delicious smelling food in front of him.

"You like it?"

He looked up, blue eyes wide in disbelief, "how long did you spend in the kitchen to make all of this?"

Jay shrugged nonchalantly, a soft chuckle escaping him, "just a couple hours. Not much."

"And you made this all for me?"

"For both of us since we're having lunch together."

Tim turned silent and Jay was once again reminded of when the boy had first come to their house and had seemed like a little bird that had left its nest unexpectedly and was looking at the rest of the world with curious wide eyes.

He snapped his fingers, shaking Tim out of the silence, "everything okay, Babybird?"

"Oh, I..." He looked up, eyes glistening slightly, "thank you so much, Jay."

He smiled, ruffling his head slightly just like Richard did with them both, "no thank you nor sorry among friends, remember?"

He nodded in reply, looking too overwhelmed to speak though a soft smile was playing upon his lips.

"Hey, at this rate all the food will get cold. We should dig in."

Tim's smile widened, blue eyes lighting up with the rare happiness that dusted his features, "sure."

Jason was not accustomed to silence so while they were eating, he mended the conversation, "so how have things been for you so far?"

"Okay, I guess," he replied, "it's a relief the GCPD has decreased surveillance over me. I was getting rather irritated by the officers hovering around me all the time."

"Even Barbara?"

"No, she's nice. I don't mind her staying around."

"Dickie is smitten with her," he mumbled but then quickly changed the topic, "by the way, how's work going?"

"I have a joint meeting with Wayne Enterprises and March Ventures today," the boy's eyes flickered towards the clock, "in about half an hour."

"Yeah the receptionist told me you had a meeting and I promised her I'll leave before that."

They had just had lunch and were packing up when the intercom at Tim's table rang so he got up to answer it, "yes?"

"Sir, there's an issue for the meeting that was scheduled for today."

His brow furrowed, "why?"

"You haven't seen the news? Mister March has been missing and we can not proceed the meeting without him. In fact, we got a call from Wayne Enterprises asking if you wanted to reschedule or cancel the meeting."

Tim held his hand over the intercom, "Jay, turn on the television please and put any news channel."

Jay did as told and sure enough all over the news was the case of Lincoln March's disappearance.

"Miss Hale, please transfer a call to Wayne Enterprises and ask them if they want to reschedule, we're absolutely fine with that. Let me know the response."

He placed down the intercom then turned his focus on the news, eyes narrowing in thought.

"Don't you think it's weird?" He spoke up and Jay looked sideways at him, "first my parents got targeted and killed, then Mister Wayne's parents were targeted and now Mister March is missing..."

Jay didn't quite get where he was heading to with that thought, "and you think it's somehow connected?"

"Three of the most famous families in Gotham... All three having their mark in the industry even," the thoughtful look on his face deepened, "I think all these attacks are not a coincidence. Someone is intentionally targeting and getting rid of them. If that's the case, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikanders are targeted next. Or if someone came back for those who survived the attacks."

Jay's features depicted concern as he stood up, "I've got to tell Dickie about this."

Tim looked up as if shaken out of his thoughts, "why Dickie? Does he know anything that could help...?"

Jay shook his head, knowing the. boy was observant and would probe further, "ah nothing. Oh and Tim, if the surveillance is low on you, perhaps you could visit our place with Barbara sometime? We'll look forward to it."

Tim had sensed the abrupt change of topic but nodded, "sure, I'll visit soon."

***