[23]

Bruce Wayne was no doubt the prince of Gotham city.

With his father being the Mayor and himself being the CEO of Wayne Enterprises, he held his place on a pedestal that many longed to reach.

He was Gotham's most eligible bachelor though with a playboy reputation yet his focus towards Wayne Enterprises and all the revolutionary ideas he had brought into the market had been undivided. Wayne Enterprises had no doubt become a very powerful company in its own right, dominating he fields of technology, industry and even research.

But on that high perch, Bruce Wayne was all alone and had almost begun to believe that he would never be able to find someone worthy of sharing that pedestal until he met Lavina Vikander.

The woman was one of a kind and could have anyone at her beck and call if she wanted to. To say she was rare would be an understatement.

She was a coalesce of secrets with a shadowy past but eccentric enough for Bruce to feel helplessly gravitating towards her. He was intrigued by her so much that he proposed for Wayne Enterprises and the Vikander Associates to collaborate on a few projects and the woman agreed to the offer.

Truly, she must have her own reasons for agreeing to the proposal but it furnished him enough opportunity to find out more about her. And whatever he found out seemed to lure him in further, pulling him akin to a black hole with no end to its captivating vortex.

The more time he spent with her, the more he learnt how different she was from all other women he had met or associated with.

She was fiercely independent and intimidating even, always getting her work done and achieving her targets. 

To any other eye, she was flawless.

But to Bruce, she was a very cleverly put together act and he was curious to see the reality concealed behind that alluring costume.

Yet even his curiosity and sense of forbearance couldn't stop him from falling for her.

And by then, after two years of working with Lavina and accepting that he was just unnecessarily superstitious regarding her, he had finally managed to propose to her and much to his surprise, she had agreed.

Though it was kept a secret from the general public, Lavina's visits to the Manor became more frequent. Thomas and Martha Wayne adored her and praised her for the brilliant ideas she had while Bruce was no doubt so caught up in the web of love that he could only see her whenever she was with him.

The rest of the world began to lose its significance in her captivating presence.

Her visits to Wayne Tech were even more frequent than those to the Manor. With the alliance between both companies, she had become directly involved with Wayne Tech's proceedings as well. Bruce preferred to hear her input on whatever decision they would be making for their companies and she mostly took the steering wheel while directing plans for the future.

He didn't seem to mind it and while to others he might have seemed like a stringless puppet for the Vikander heir, that wasn't the case.

The reason he hadn't objected to any of her decisions was because he had discreetly kept everything in check and found her way of doing things rather similar to his own. Hence, despite keeping close check on the proceedings, he did not directly interfere with those matters anymore.

And all that remarkable change was due to Lavina Vikander.

She was beginning to gain his trust, his love, his attention and even his power.

However, he had started to notice that since the past few days she had been somewhat detached from her surroundings. She would get lost in thought more often, there were very slight traces that indicated she was stressed or warried. The last he remembered seeing her smile and laugh freely was at the Masquerade Ball while she had been dancing with Barbara Gordon's mysterious boyfriend.