[41]

Barbara found Jason at the front door of Richard's house with his features set in worry.

"What's going on?" She asked because even though the door was shut both of them could hear quite an uproar from inside.

"I don't know. All I know is that there are daggers involved," he pointed to the front door which had a mark and a dagger sticking halfway out from it, "I was about to break in when this happened."

"But we have to go inside..." 

She had brought her pistol along with her but she knew it wouldn't shoot open the lock, so they had to take the other route.

"Jay, is there any window we can go in through?"

"Yeah I guess, there's a window in my room."

"Lead the way."

She had no idea what was going on between Richard and Lavina yet by every passing second the dread in her heart was increasing. She could have called the GCPD but then again she knew it better than most that it would be of no use.

The cops were already busy in investigating Tim's case and even if they did turn up, it would cause more trouble than solve the matter. Richard was a man of secrets and the farther the police stayed from him, the safer it would be for him as well as the people close to him.

They found the window and broke it open, climbing in through it. Barbara asked Jason to stay back while she held her gun at the ready, cautiously proceeding towards the living room from where the sounds of battle were coming from.

"GCPD, drop the weapon," she threatened as she stepped in, seeing Richard pinned to the wall by Lavina who was holding a dagger close to his throat.

Richard's eyes widened in alarm to see her there, though the case was opposite for Lavina as a smile crept up on her features.

He knew that smile; it meant chaos was on its way.

"Drop the weapon or I'll shoot!"

"How endearing," she whispered and the dagger went flying back towards Barbara who was only able to dodge it as Jay had sprung into action, pushing her out of the way.

The blade penetrated the chair instead that Jay had held up as cover.

Yet the loss of one dagger seemed to be of no disadvantage to Lavina as she had countless blades at her disposal. Richard was trying to break free from her hold but her grip was unnervingly strong as she held him in place.

"Richard, dear, tell your friends to leave if they value their lives and yours," she whispered, the threat clearly underlying her tone.

Barbara was analyzing the situation. Richard was at a clear disadvantage at the moment as he was held down by Lavina and was most probably injured or else it wouldn't have been possible for her to pin him down so easily.

Jason might have had training but he couldn't possibly take on someone of Lavina's caliber without fatal risk to his own self. That left her, a police detective and field officer who had her gun as a weapon.

She could shoot at Lavina but that could have further consequences, such as her plunging the dagger in his throat. Shooting at her hand could also be a risk given the proximity of the target to Richard.

"Jason, Barbara... Leave us," he spoke up with some difficulty, "you shouldn't have come here."

"Leave you when this insane woman is clearly going to kill you?" Jay remarked, "no way."

"Alright then. More fun for me, I guess," a light chuckle escaped her as dark irises flickered from Jay to Barbara.

"Back off from him," Barbara had loaded her pistol, showing Lavina that she meant her threat.