[33]

The Court of Owls was completely under Lavina's control. By making Henry Vanaver the Head of the Court, she was the one who held actual power and authority since all the members were aware that she held the right to that rank yet for some reason, she had chosen to stay in the background.

Furthermore, they were terrified of her as she had not refrained from revealing her identity to the entire court yet it seemed like she had challenged them and given a clear warning that even if they knew who she was, they could never cause any harm to her.

She had also proved the fact that she was aware of their identities since whenever she was alone with another member, she wouldn't hesitate to call him or her by name, emphasizing upon that fact.

In short, Lavina was the Court in herself without even holding the rank of the Head.

Henry Vanaver had an only daughter Samantha who Lavina had personally taken under her wing. The two women had come rather close as the elder guided her so that after Henry, she could take the rank of the Head.

Samantha did not see why Lavina chose to stay in the shadows and let them take the reins apparently. However, she knew not to doubt the woman's judgment as she had personally gotten to see how clever and cautious Lavina was in matters of the Court.

The two had started to meet often in their public lives as well and the younger woman had almost started to consider Lavina a friend.

She was no doubt a very benefitting friend to have. But Samantha knew well that it was equally as destructive if her friendship turned to enmity.

They had all witnessed with their eyes how she had murdered Lincoln March without even a second's hesitation.

That side to her was probably the scariest yet captivating nevertheless.

"Sam, darling, you seem a lot in thought today."

She looked up startled and turned to see Lavina step into the room, discarding her overcoat that she handed to her butler who vanished immediately after.

She knew he would resurface with tea soon enough as per routine.

"Oh please keep seated," Lavina remarked, noticing that she was about to stand up, "I hope you stay for tea this evening."

She smiled, "I would love that very much."

Lavina took her seat across from her, dark irises scrutinizing the woman closely. "Is something bothering you lately?"

"No... I mean, yes. A bit."

"What is it, sweetheart?" She had edged closer, eyes eager to know what was troubling her, "maybe I could be of some help."

"I... I want to ask you a few questions and I hope you wouldn't mind..."

"Sure," she smiled, waving off her concerns breezily, "go ahead."

Samantha tried to sort out among all the questions she had to ask, knowing that she couldn't possibly get the answers to all. So she picked up one that was related to the topic discussed in the previous meeting of the Court on which Lavina had taken a firm stance.

"Why are you so firm on avoiding the Gray Son at all costs? Considering what he's been doing in contrast to what he was destined to, don't you think it would land us in a lot of trouble?"

Lavina's soft eager eyes had turned stone cold but the smile still lingered on her face, "he is not to be bothered with at the moment. Let him be."

"But he is supposed to be a Talon..."

"And he's unwilling," her tone was unwavering, "at least, for now."

"I don't understand."

She nodded, taking her hands gently in her own, "would you keep a secret for me?"