[22]

Tim was nervous as he stood by Richard, watching him knock on the door. He had said that he had brought him along to meet his friends and deep down, Tim was freaking out.

It had taken him time to adjust with Richard too but by then he had accepted him as his closest and only friend. However, he did not know whether he was ready to meet other people who were close to Richard as well.

He constantly felt that they might not approve of him and that feeling of being rejected was gnawing at his heart.

"Don't worry, kid, they will all be glad to meet you," he ruffled the boy's head affectionately and shortly after the door opened, revealing Jason.

"Hi," Tim mumbled shyly and watched the boy's stormy eyes focus on him in curiosity.

"Ah Tim," he opened the door wider, "Dick had said he was bringing a guest but he didn't tell us who exactly. Come on in."

"After you," Richard chuckled, letting Tim step in first.

"Who's Dick?" Tim asked and it made the two of them laugh.

"Wait, you haven't told him who's Dick?" Jason's rumbling laughter echoed around them, "you've gotta be kidding me."

Tim looked a bit confused so Richard spoke up, "it's my nickname. Jay and some of my very close friends call me Dick."

"Oh..."

"It has many derivatives too," Jason added, "such as Dickie, Dickiebird and Dickhead, though the last one's used by Helena only."

"Did anyone say my name?" A female voice broke the temporary silence and Tim followed the sound to see a gorgeous yet somewhat intimidating woman who had just stepped out of the kitchen, "oh hi, Timothy."

"Does everyone around here know me?"

"Yeah, you're quite a favorite topic for Richard here, he literally doesn't shut up when he starts talking about you," she smiled, "come on, don't feel nervous. You're in perfectly safe company, little Drake."

"So I see some introductions are due," Richard placed his hand over the boy's shoulder gently, "this is Helena, my best friend and this is Jason, my younger brother."

"Nice meeting you both," Tim nodded his head in acknowledgement.

"Aw so polite," Helena's smile widened, "anyhow, dinner's ready and Jay cooked so I was kinda skeptical whether it would be edible or not..."

"Hey, I cook perfectly now, of course it's edible!"

"Yeah yeah, but I just had to check. And now I can't wait longer to dig in since it's really delicious," she remarked and Tim watched that the compliment made Jason's face light up instantly.

He was thinking that the people who were around him right then were so genuine towards one another; it was quite evident that they all enjoyed each other's company and genuinely cared for each other.

What they had was happiness and joy to be in each other's company, something which he had never been able to relate to.

"You okay with having dinner first?" Richard asked him, shaking him out of his thoughts.

"Yeah sure."

"Carrie said she will come too," Jason spoke up, "and I was going to invite Laurie but Dickie here refused... That's not fair, why can't I gather my friends too when he's gathering all of his to meet Tim?"

Richard shook his head, "Jay, in case it totally escaped your notice, I told you Tim is not fond of gatherings. I promised him there won't be many people."

However, Tim spoke up, "it's no big deal. You can invite Laurie..."

Jason looked at him closely but then shrugged, "nah, too late for that. I will call him over when you come here next time."

"Next time?"

Stormy eyes sparked with a playful hint, "why? Got bored of us too soon?"

"No... Not at all," Tim's cheeks flushed red from embarrassment. 

"Besides, I didn't invite all my friends either," Richard spoke up, "Tim has yet to meet Barbara."

All that friendly behavior was very new to him and he found himself at a loss of how to react properly. The most he ever did when placed into any new situation was to shut off his emotions and deal with it.

But right then he felt that if he did that, it would seem rude so he stood there like an awkward mess but none of them seemed to mind. They were not expecting him to be on his best behavior, instead they were all willing to accept him just as he was; even if he was a shy and awkward boy.

Another knock shook him out of his thoughts and once again, Jason was enthusiastic to go and open the door. In stepped a girl with curly strawberry blonde hair and striking green eyes.

This must be Carrie, he thought to himself and soon enough the girl had held a hand out towards him.

"Hi Tim," she smiled and extended her hand towards him, "I'm Carrie."

"Hi," he shook the offered hand, "nice meeting you."

"Carrie's here and so are the others and that means we can finally have dinner now," Helena announced and patted Jason on the back, "off you trot pipsqueak, get the food out."

Jay's face colored at that, "don't call me pipsqueak."

However, he had vanished into the kitchen and Carrie followed, saying that she would help him lay out the dishes.

"Jason cooked dinner all by himself?" Tim asked, looking at the delicious food laid out on the table with awestruck blue eyes.

"Yup," Richard replied, "he's very fond of cooking. In his early days, he almost exploded the kitchen but now he cooks even better than I do."

"Appreciate the compliment," Jay's voice came trailing towards them.

Soon enough, they had all sat down to eat and Tim couldn't help but notice how different dinner time with them was like as compared to how he usually had dinner at home.

Right then, even though none of the people there were biologically related, still they looked and behaved much more like a normal happy family than the Drakes had ever been.

He no longer remembered when was the last time he had had dinner at the same table with his parents. Jack and Janet Drake argued a lot and there were rumors going on about them opting for a divorce too hence they tended to avoid each other at all costs.

And that left Tim being neglected by both of them, left alone in the vast Drake Mansion to wander by himself and wallow in aimless thoughts.

"How's the food?" Jason poked him and he almost jumped off his seat, startled out of his train of thought.

"Jay, back off," Richard spoke up but Tim put on a slight smile on his face.

"It's delicious, thank you," he mumbled and watched Jay's face light up with a smile at being appreciated.

After dinner, Richard had arranged for a movie night and all the friends crowded in the small living room to watch the selected movie. They had taken a vote and Jason was somewhat pissed that the movie he wanted to see didn't get enough votes.

However, his bad mood had evaporated soon as the movie started and he began annoying Carrie with his constant commentary until the girl slammed a cushion on his face and threatened him to shut up.

A soft chuckle escaped Tim to see that and right next moment, he felt Richard's hand ruffle up his hair affectionately.

"Having fun, Timmy?"

"Yeah," he looked up and nodded, that once the smile on his face wasn't forced, "a lot more fun than I've ever had before."

***