[18]

It was the much awaited day of the Masquerade Ball at last and deep down, Barbara was a little fidgety about it.

Helena had helped her choose a beautiful golden dress that complemented her crimson hair and had a stunning mask while she had herself chosen a deep red mermaid gown with a black encrusted mask.

But she was a bit nervous of what could happen if people recognized she was going to bring Richard Grayson to that ball as her plus one.

"Sweetheart, stop with all these negative thoughts," Helena's voice echoed in her head for the hundredth, "it's a masquerade, no one cares who you are going with. He will be just as much of a mystery as he would have been on someone else's arm."

That statement had sent a slight twinge to her heart but she hadn't let it show. Over the past month, she and Richard had come a lot closer to each other and by then both were aware of their genuine feelings and attachment towards one another.

Barbara was like an anchor to his freely roaming spirit while he was her rush of adrenaline, an escape out of the black and white life she had kept living in before she had met him.

He was the dash of color on her monochrome canvas and she was the painting he could never get tired of seeing.

Barbara and Richard had planned to meet at the venue then go in together, Helena had procured a date for the night as well, Jason was pissed at not being invited but had settled for calling his best friend Laurie over and holding a movie marathon.

Apparently everything was sorted and there was no reason for her to feel so jittery.

But she had always been rather overly conscious of the people surrounding her and their opinions and that was the main reason she avoided social gatherings. 

"Barbara, stop being so panicky," Helena shook her head in disappointment as she saw her internally panicking, "you look stunning, Richard is already waiting for you, nothing would go wrong and you will actually enjoy this night. Take my word for it and just go, you're a police detective for goodness sake and here you are getting cold feet from just a ball. It's not like you're getting married to the guy..."

Her cheeks turned red but she was thankful for the mask concealing most of her face, "now if you're done lecturing me, Len, shall we leave?"

"Oh thank heavens... Absolutely!"

The Masquerade was hosted in the most expensive and largest ballroom in Gotham, one that happened to be a property of the Waynes themselves. As decided earlier, Richard joined Barbara at the entrance and he looked dashing in his deep navy suit and matching mask.

Helena and her date had left the two so once inside, Barbara felt herself stiffen again. He offered her his arm to hold on to and she tentatively placed her hand on the crook of his elbow.

"Shall we?" Icy blue eyes peeked through the mask as Richard looked down at her, a dazzling smile playing upon his lips.

How could one say no to such an offer?

She nodded and took in a deep breath. It was just a masquerade and she was there to enjoy, not to worry about all the stuff she had been working on since the past few weeks.

So she put a smile on her face too as Richard led her to the dance floor. The couples were lined up in traditional waltz positions and the music began to pour from the instruments being played live in the gallery.

"Imagine it's just the two of us," he whispered, "or better still, imagine you're with me but everyone else is blindfolded. In a way, they really are."

She laughed, memory of that night fluttering in her head again, "why? Do you want me to run away soon after this dance ends too?"

"I won't let you run away this time," he replied, "I promise."