[03]

That night had ended with a kiss.

Just a light brush of his lips against hers yet it was enough to rid him of his sleep such that he was staring up at the ceiling in his room, mind still a haze of whether it had actually happened or he was caught up in his vivid imagination.

He didn't even remember which one of them had initiated the kiss. The only thing he remembered was how thrilling it had felt to touch her as such, though it had been only for a brief instant.

She had rushed off immediately afterwards, leaving him standing in a mixture of confusion and shock. Confusion since he wasn't sure whether it had happened or not, and shock because it had felt so real.

He had never felt that way with anyone before. 

Barbara Eileen Gordon had been the only exception so far.

"Dude, get up," Jason called out, taking the pillow out from his arms that he was holding close to his chest, "what's so interesting up there on the ceiling? Or perhaps you're just asleep with your eyes open. Either way, it's weird and creeping me out."

Richard tilted his head to look at Jason, "why are you up so early?"

"Early? It's fucking nine in the morning," he screeched, hitting him with the pillow, "you're the one who's awfully late today and I am surprised since you're such a morning person otherwise."

He sat up, hand reaching up to hold his throbbing temples, "my head hurts..."

"Why?" Concern flickered in the younger's eyes and he leaned closer, hand resting on his forehead to see whether his temperature was normal or not.

"I couldn't sleep last night, maybe that's why."

"You don't have a fever so that's one less thing for us to worry about," the boy mused, the irritation from his tone quickly getting replaced by concern and Richard's eyes focused on him again, "maybe you're just awfully hungry. In that case, breakfast is laid out. If you still don't get better after eating, you should call your employer and tell him you're taking an off."

"I'm fine," he got up reluctantly, "just a bit tired, that's all."

"You overwork yourself, Dickie," the boy shook his head, placing the pillow back on the bed, "you must have tired yourself out last night."

"On the contrary, I didn't even perform last night," he mumbled and though Jay heard him, he knew the man was just talking to himself again so he shrugged and walked out, leaving Richard to gather his thoughts. "It was just slow dancing... And a... An unexpected k... Never mind..."

He turned as if he had just realized that Jason had been in the room too but found him gone so he let out a sigh of relief before heading to the bathroom at last.

Jason on the other hand knew something was up with Richard even though the elder had pretended that it was nothing. He was waiting for him to come out, almost done with his own share of breakfast by then, though the gears in his head were turning.

Richard never got silent like that. 

It only happened when he was thinking deeply about something or someone. Or when something bad happened, he would turn silent for a bit but it usually didn't stay that way for long because he had a short temper and would always explode rather than keep it all inside.

Angry Richard was a terrifying sight, he involuntarily shuddered at the thought.

He still remembered the day he had first met the young man.

Still remembered how Richard had snatched a fully loaded gun out of the thug's hands like it was nothing, still remembered how he had almost pressed the trigger.

"You okay, kid?"

He snapped out of his thoughts hearing the same words he had first spoken to him. But when Jay looked up, he was no longer in that dark alley.

Instead Richard had taken the seat across from him, icy blue eyes sweeping over the toast and omelet in mild appreciation.

"Looks way better than last time, Jaybird," he mumbled, taking a bite as well, "mmm, delicious too."

"Glad you like it," he smiled, "are you feeling better now?"

He nodded, eyes trailing towards the clock, "yeah. Turned out a shower was all I needed to relax. Anyways, I have to be somewhere in a while so make sure the house is secure and locked when you leave for the theater, okay?"

Jason's eyes lit up at that, "wait, I almost forgot to tell you. I got a role..."

Richard focused back on him, a smile tugging up on his lips as he nodded for him to resume.

"So the actor who played Sebastian in Twelfth Night was a bit sick hence he couldn't come. And I asked if I could join them for the rehearsals, just to do Sebastian's part so that the others could practice even in his absence."

"Then?" His chin rested on his hand as he listened attentively. 

He always made sure to hear Jason out even though he knew he was himself getting late for the place he had to go to.

"They loved my part. And I can perform with them until the other actor fully recovers," his blue eyes sparkled as he told him.

"That's fantastic," he reached out and ruffled his head affectionately and that once since Jason was so excited telling him about the news, he didn't object to it.

Richard took advantage of the fact and messed up his hair even more.

"One day I will perform on stage too," he spoke up, ambition evident on his tone, "just you wait and see. One day soon."

"You sure will, I believe in you. But for now you look like a hedgehog," he playfully remarked, "how adorable."

Jason snapped out of the happy stupor and touched his head, "wait what? Dickie, you did not..."

"Bye, cute little hedgehog, see you later," he winked, pocketing his phone and stepped out of the house.

Jason huffed, trying to tame down his hair that were sticking up in all directions as if he had gotten electrocuted, "hedgehog, indeed. Why does he always do that though?"

Deep down, he knew it was Richard's way of showing affection, of silently telling him that he cared for him and he was important to him.

***