[24]

Jason had noticed that Tim's visits to their place had become more frequent and the boy had visibly gotten much friendlier and relaxed around them. Richard and Helena doted upon him as if he was a toddler which was at times very amusing to see but at other times, Jay couldn't help but feel slightly weird.

He didn't want to get jealous but as he had been the only person who had been treated as a younger brother by Richard for a considerable amount of time by then, he felt as if with Tim around, things were going to change.

And he was not sure whether he was ready for that change yet. 

He had just returned from Gotham Theater and stepped in the house, a delicious aroma wafted through the air, indicating that Richard was home.

"Hi Jaybird," he called out, turning to see him cross the living room, "get freshened up, dinner is almost ready."

"Sure," he nodded, leaving his bag at the couch then trudged off to his room.

In the meanwhile Richard laid out the dinner on the counter and fetched the stools. Whenever it was just the two of them, they would have dinner in the kitchen. But whenever Helena, Tim or anyone else visiting them, they would lay it out on the makeshift table.

Jay returned and took his seat, a smile flickering on his ace to see his favorite fried rice and vegetable stew.

"How was your day at the theater?" Richard asked, as was his habit to keep a conversation going on between them most of the times.

"Good. What about yours?"

"The usual. I have to leave soon," his eyes flickered towards the clock, "lock the door behind me, I will take the keys since I will be returning late."

"I know the drill, Dickie, don't worry."

A while passed in silence as the two focused on the food, however, Jason was still thinking about Tim.

"What are you thinking?" Richard asked, knowing that it was rather unusual for him to stay silent for long.

"Nothing," he shrugged but then added, "you're not planning on adopting Tim, are you?"

Richard was surprised at the question, "well, I would if I could."

"But he has a family and everything else that one wishes for. I don't see why you should..."

He shook his head, interrupting him, "but he doesn't have happiness nor freedom."

"What I meant to say is that maybe you're pushing yourself too much. It will take some time but Tim will get better. He's smart, he'll adjust."

Icy blue eyes locked with his metallic irises, "your point being?"

"You can't save everyone, Dickie," he mumbled, retrieving his gaze from him, "there's only so much you can do and there are times when you should stop overburdening yourself."

Richard didn't reply outright, pondering on his words for a while. He had felt something had been slightly off between Jay and Tim ever since the day they had met but he had kept ignoring it, thinking the boys would adjust with time. 

However, right then he felt as if he had been wrong to ignore that and should have cleared Jay's misconception way earlier.

"Are you, in any case, jealous of him?" He asked cautiously, eyes observing the younger boy's face.

"What? No!" Jason looked quite akin to a deer in headlights, his eyes wide on being caught.

"Or do you think that just because I care for him too I would somehow stop caring about you?" That once his tone was softer since he had understood exactly what Jay felt and he felt bad at himself for not clearing it up sooner.