[26]

Jason woke up to see Richard in his room, searching through his closet. "What do you want, Dickiebird?"

"Do you have any clothes that don't fit you anymore?"

"If they don't fit me, they won't fit you either," he sat up, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

"Can I borrow either way?"

Jason got off the bed and pushed him aside, digging into his closet and pulled out a shirt and trousers, "there you go."

"Thanks buddy."

Richard left the room and Jay who was no longer sleepy went to freshen up. His senses awakened as he splashed his face with cold water and it was then he realized that Richard couldn't possibly be asking for the clothes for himself.

True enough when he stepped out, he saw Richard in the kitchen talking to a bundle of blankets placed on the counter though upon looking closely, he realized it was Tim and the boy was wearing his clothes yet wrapped up tightly in a blanket.

"Good morning," he greeted, "didn't expect to see you here, Tim."

He mumbled something in reply but his voice was low so he didn't quite hear what he had said.

Jason looked at Richard for an explanation who merely nodded his head silently in a gesture to tell him that he would explain later. Right then he laid out breakfast and also fetched some medicines for Tim who was sneezing at small intervals.

Jay knew something was wrong but didn't ask, trusting that his elder brother would have a valid reason to stay silent at the moment. He watched how Richard was very cautious towards the young boy, treating him quite akin to an injured bird that needs attention.

After breakfast, Jay switched on the television though he didn't see Tim visibly stiffen in his seat. The news headline being broadcasted on the channel focused on the murder of the Drakes and the mysterious disappearance of their only son.

Jay looked back at Tim with wide eyes but the boy had shifted closer to Richard, hiding his face behind the elder's arm.

"What's going on?" Jason asked, quite visibly shocked.

"Jay, I told you I'll explain later."

"Did you take the boy away from his home?" His eyes had narrowed, "Dickiebird, don't hide anything from me."

"I did nothing of the sort."

"Then why is he here?" Jason had started to panic, "do you have any idea how much trouble that could put us in? There are cops searching this city for Timmy and he's here... With us... And you're still not telling me anything."

"Jay, calm down," Richard sighed, "Tim came here last night and he can stay with us for as long as he wants to."

"As long as we don't get thrown in prison for kidnapping..."

Tim spoke up, "I came here by my own will, they can't pin a kidnapping on you two."

"You're naïve, you know that, right?" Jay mumbled, still in a panicked state, "your parents got murdered and you're missing. The cops have every reason to put the blame on us and close the case. Dickie, why don't you see what I am pointing out?"

The eldest sighed again, hand reaching up to massage his throbbing temples, "I know, Jay, I know very well what you're talking about. But Tim is not going anywhere until or unless he really wants to go back."

At that statement, the boy's grip on his arm tightened, "I don't want to."

"I see that, kid, I... Let me figure something out," he absentmindedly ruffled his head, ignoring Jay at the moment who looked frantic.