[14]

"Dick, thank God you're here."

Jason had opened the door instantly upon hearing his specific knock and he stepped in, but was engulfed into a tight hug shortly after.

He winced and Jason must have realized that he was injured as he pulled apart instantly, eyes widening in alarm to take in his state. "Where were you?"

"At a friend's," he mumbled, but then he saw the boy's features laced with worry, "you okay, Jay?"

"Yeah, but what happened to you?"

He shrugged off the question, "nothing. Had breakfast?"

"Nope. I couldn't do so without you," Jason remarked, realizing that Richard did not want to talk further about that, "the nerve of you to disappear for two whole days..."

Though Jay had made up his mind to find out what was going on by himself. He was sure Helena knew something and even if she didn't, she could be the only person to squeeze the truth out of Richard.

"I'm sorry, I promise it won't happen again," he gave him a genuinely apologetic smile, "but right now, I'm starving..."

He was about to go to the kitchen but the boy held him back, "no, I'll cook. You sit here and supervise. By the way, you don't look like you were at a friend's. It seems more like you stepped out of a fight."

He didn't answer but took his seat so that he could clearly view Jason in the kitchen. Jay had just learnt cooking and wasn't an expert but at least he didn't explode the kitchen off and the food tasted delicious.

Shortly after, Jason laid out toast and omelet and Richard's face lit up with a smile.

"My pupil's doing great. These look delicious."

"Taste first," Jay chuckled, stormy blue eyes watching him in anticipation as the elder took a bite.

"9 out of 10, just deducted one point for the crisp edges. Other than that, it's great."

"Thanks." The smile on Jason's face was bright and seeing him like that made Richard feel accomplished.

Taking the boy in had been another of his very few right decisions.

"Come now, don't let your share get cold," he spoke up and Jay brought out another chair as he dug into his food.

However, the boy's eyes would flicker every now and then to the faint red stains on Richard's shirt and also on the buttoned up front.

Richard knew what he was thinking so he spoke up, "I got into a fight. They had knives on them and I couldn't dodge all the blades."

He then peeled off his shirt, revealing the bandaged up torso.

"Holy shit," Jason swore, eyes widening in concern, "and you said this was nothing?"

"Didn't want you to get worried," he replied nonchalantly as if what he had been through was a very casual occurrence.

"At least tell me why you got into a fight and with whom."

"Jason, I don't want you to get involved in this," that once his voice was firm, "trust me, you're better off knowing nothing."

"I won't be better off knowing that you're risking your life and I can't do anything to help," his lips had puckered into a pout, eyes flickering in concern.

"I love you, kid. I don't want you to get hurt," he had replied immediately, as if it was quite natural for him to say that.

"Well that's mutual here," his stormy eyes were resilient, "I mean... I don't want you to get hurt either."