[34]

It was past midnight but Jason was awake, looking out the window in the dark. Richard had left on the usual time but he had wished him a Happy Birthday in advance and promised that he could gather as many friends of his as he wanted to the next day. 

He had also told him that he would take the day off so that they could spend time together which they never really got to do ever since the elder had taken up the identity of Batman.

Jason was happy that Richard cared for him but at the same time he was worried that he put himself in too much danger. The only consolation he had was that Richard had considered his idea of joining him as a vigilante and discussed it with Barbara and Helena.

However, their verdict would be revealed the next evening as both were supposed to be coming for the gathering Jay had set up.

A tap on the window shook him out of his thoughts and he looked down, surprised to see Carrie.

"How you doing, Jakespeare?" Her green eyes twinkled as she took his hand and climbed inside, "welcome to adulthood."

"As always finding a weird way to say Happy Birthday," he remarked, a smile playing upon his lips.

"If you really ask me, birthdays aren't that happy," she shrugged, "you're just one year closer to your death day."

"Geez Carrie, way to spoil the fun."

"Besides, you're eighteen now, an adult. And in case you forgot, being an adult comes up with responsibilities. Get ready to face yours," she winked playfully, making herself comfortable on the bed as she sat down cross legged and picked up the pillow, hugging it close to herself. "Thankfully, I have one whole year to stay irresponsible."

"So..."

"Movie night," she spoke up before he could say anything, "plus, I invited Laurie."

True enough, a knock was heard on the door and Jason knew it would be his best friend Laurie so he went to open the door with Carrie trailing behind. 

"Just because Dickie isn't at home doesn't mean you two can show up unannounced. What if I had been asleep? You'd be waiting out here for ages," he remarked as he opened the door but the boy had launched himself on him in a tight hug.

"That's exactly where lockpicking comes in handy," Carrie mumbled but her words were drowned in Laurie's enthusiastic birthday wish.

"Here's the birthday boy, Happy Eighteenth Birthday, Jay!"

"Thank you," he spoke up, struggling to get out of the hug, "now can you let me go, Laurie?"

"Sure sure, got too excited," Laurie let go of him, a bright smile lighting up his features, "so movie night?"

"It seems so since Carrie has already decided," Jay replied, glancing over at her.

She shrugged, a smile dancing on her features, "well, I had other ideas but the only reason I settled on movie night was because I got a call from Dick warning me not to drag your ass out to a club tonight."

"But he didn't say anything about the other night," Laurie added.

Carrie nodded, "or maybe he wants to keep the honor of showing Jay inside a club for the first time for himself."

"We'll see about that," Jason closed the door, "but he doesn't know whether it would really be my first time."

"Jay, you sneaky buffoon..."

He chuckled, "you know what, both you and Dickie have awful habits. He messes up my hair all the time and you keep shoving my arm so hard that I'm afraid one day it will just fall off."