[20]

Barbara knew very well that Richard was up to something.

She could see he had started turning up in the lockup much more often for rather stupid reasons on the cops' behalf but the more she looked into it, the more she felt that he had taken a very huge risk.

She remembered the questions he had asked her that night after they had rescued the girls and were in Helena's apartment. His words from when they were talking in the balcony and then later when she had came to his room were echoing in her head.

The world is as it is and could get worse but can't one person make a difference?

Let's just say I'm searching for a reason to my existence.

So what you're saying is that if a large number of innocent lives are at stake and one has to go out of their way to save them, defy the law even to some extent, it is worth it to take that risk?

It all pointed in one direction. Richard had taken up the decision of protecting the city on his own and for him, it seemed to be a reason to his existence.

He was trying his very best to save the innocent citizens of Gotham city but in doing so he was risking his life and a lot more.

She had to warn him about the consequences and deep down she couldn't let him shoulder such a heavy burden on his own.

Barbara had made up her mind to help him out.

She took Helena in confidence and discussed it all with her thoroughly before talking to Richard. And the woman agreed with her, just like she had expected her to.

So one day she brought Richard to Gotham Tower telling him that she and Helena had been working on something and wanted him to join. 

Though he was surprised to see that the entire place was set up to work as a discreet headquarter. There was a computer and an entire set up of tracking devices and other gadgets lined up on the desk.

At first glance, it looked like a makeshift base for a special agency.

"How did you guys manage all this?" He spoke up at last, awestruck at the variety of technology stacked within.

"To be honest, me and Len had been working on this for quite some time now," she elaborated, a soft smile playing upon her lips to see him inquisitively checking everything out, "this was more of supposed to be a watchtower for us but considering that it would help you out more, we decided to make a few changes."

"I still don't get what you mean by that..."

"Sit down," she gestured to him to take the seat beside her and operated the computer, "do you really think it would be possible for you to protect the city on your own?"

He realized that she must have figured out what he had been doing since the past few weeks, "oh so you worked out my secret."

"Answer the question, Richard."

He dipped his head in a nod, "well... I could always try."

"I love your determination but it's better to work in a team. Isn't that what you had said to me when I had told you about my plan to free those abducted girls?"

A smile crept up on his face to hear that, "using my own words to prove your point?"

"Guilty as charged." 

She had pulled up a database on the screen and he noticed that it was linked to the GCPD's records. It included details about all the criminals that had been captured, sent to Arkham or were being searched for. The remarkable aspect was that she had linked that database in such a way that the GCPD itself wouldn't be able to find out that their records could be accessed by her.

Richard was no expert when it came to hacking but he could see that Barbara held quite the flair for it.

"This is what we call Oracle," she demonstrated and a software launched on the screen next, "linked to all CCTV cameras in the city, it provides excellent surveillance. Me and Helena got into a little bit of trouble setting it up but we've got it all sorted by now."

He was looking at her in shock, "Babs, just exactly how much have you and Helena been plotting without letting me know?"

She laughed, "I could ask you the same question."

"This... This is stupendous," he remarked, "I seriously had no idea you two would have gone this far."

"Your fault for underestimating us then," she remarked playfully but then resumed in a serious tone, "now I understand why you took your decision and both me and Helena are on board with it since that's exactly what we wanted to do for the city too. But there are a lot of things we have to discuss together so that none of us get into trouble."

"Okay...?"

"First of all, you can't go around saving every other person without attracting attention to yourself. I've noticed you keep turning up in the lockup much more often now and usually the cause is you meddling with the police's job."

He shrugged, "you and I both know the police hardly does any job."

"I know but try to understand. If you keep going like this saving everyone without obscuring your own identity, it will land you in trouble," she explained, taking his hand in her own, "everyone will know Richard Grayson is the city's protector so you will directly start getting targeted by criminals. And that could affect you as well as the people close to you."

He pondered over her words and realized that she did have a point, "so what do you suggest I do then?"

"You know how Metropolis has Superman but that's not the only identity he goes by. He must have a civilian identity too but he has kept it concealed for obvious reasons; to ensure his own safety as well as those who are associated to him."

"Oh... So you're saying I will have to make one such identity for myself?"

"Exactly," she nodded, "you need to operate as a vigilante so that you don't get yourself in trouble. I might have a few more ideas but first I know you'll need time to think it out on your own."

He looked at her with that adoring look in his eyes that she was so fond of, "Babs, what did I ever do to have you in my life?"

She smiled, leaning closer to capture his lips in a sweet kiss, "I don't know what you did but what you're planning to do is certainly a task that is very appreciable. And I will be with you in this every step of the way, I promise."

***