[12]

She was stirring the tea in her kettle when the door opened. A smile spread on her face as she had been expecting him to visit. It had been two years since he had last approached her but little did he know that she had kept looking out for him even then.

"My dear boy," she turned to face him, that eccentric smile playing upon her lips as usual, "it's been so long since you last came to see me."

Icy blue eyes locked with those mysterious black irises, "it's always a pleasure to see you, Miss Vikander."

He took the seat she had gestured him too and could her feel inquisitive gaze on him. It felt as if she was waiting for him to speak up.

"I gave your words a thought," he took in a deep breath as he started, "in fact, I've given it a lot of thought these two years. And you're right... This city will disintegrate very soon if things keep going like this."

Something sparked in the woman's eyes but she nodded patiently, "then what have you decided?"

"There was a reason I hadn't died that night from the trapeze," his features were masked with an unreadable expression, "and I think this is my reason..."

"I still don't get what you're implying, Richard," she poured tea in two cups and handed one to him, eyes not leaving his face for even a second. "What are you going to do?"

He stiffened as if he hadn't thought about telling her that directly. His eyes showed he was searching for words.

And she was observant enough to figure that out but didn't interrupt.

"All I'm saying is that if I ever get in to trouble, the only one I've turned to is you, Miss Vikander. Please trust me on this one. I'm doing it all for Gotham but I can't tell you more. Both for my safety and yours."

Her wise dark eyes searched his face for any trace of a lie but found none and a soft sigh escaped her, "my boy, I've kept helping you out because you never kept any secrets from me. This once you're not even telling me what's going through your head, what made you take this decision, what is this decision even... I have to know at least something."

He thought for a while then spoke up, "all I can tell you is that this city needs to be saved and I'm willing to do it on my own."

Her features that had been concerned before immediately turned unreadable, "oh... So you're doing this for Gotham?"

"And for the innocent people who suffer from the crime that flourishes here."

"You want to protect Gotham..." She pondered on his words for a while then stated, "by becoming what? A criminal itself?"

"A criminal? No..."

"You're defying the law, dear," the voice that had been somewhat cold had turned saccharine again and her hand reached out to gently rest upon the back of his palm. "All I've understood till now is that you wish to become some sort of a protector for this city. But by doing so, you will at one point or another have to go against the law. And trust me, it is very difficult to do what you're planning to on your own. Just one man can do nothing, Richard."

The words cut him to the core but he. kept his calm, not wanting to be angry at her, "one man is enough to bring a change."

"No change can be brought until the masses are willing," her reply was resolute.

"But Miss Vikander..."

"Let me tell you a story then," she rose gracefully from her chair and he was about to stand as well but her hand on his shoulder indicated otherwise, "finish the tea first. I'll be taking you somewhere. And promise me you won't breathe a word of this to anyone."