Chapter 14

I look at the mirror, but I don't see myself. I see memories of what was and what could have been. I adjust my black choker covering the puncture wounds Zero recently made on my neck. I touch the face of my reflection. Is the pain really that noticeable? Why? 

Offer yourself to me or bring me Kaname Kuran's corpse as a gift. 

It's what Shizuka said. All I know is that Yuki and Zero will hate me in the end.

"Are you ready? Al-" I stand up straight when I hear Yori. Yuki comes in right behind her. Yori looks back at Yuki.

"Huh? You two are going to the ball in your uniforms? You know just because we're working at the ball doesn't mean we can't take turns dancing." She tells us both.

"Yes, but Headmaster is counting on us to keep things safe so we really can't be working on anything." Yuki explains to Yori.

"How cruel your father is. . . Does that mean neither of you can have fun?" Yori asks.

"No, it's not like that.-"

"Yori do you need help with those boxes?" I ask interrupting Yuki.

"Hm? Oh actually these are for Yuki and you." Yori states and both Yuki and I exchange questioning glances.

"From who?" Yuki and I each take our respective boxes. Yuki blushes and I put my box down on the bed.

"Well looks like Kaname isn't giving up." I say sitting down on my bed next to the box.

"That was very kind of him." Yori states. Yuki opens her box revealing a beautiful white dress. Yuki admires it in silence.

"Alondra? Aren't you going to open your gift?" Yuki asks me. I sigh and flip the lid off. Yuki and Yori gasp and then I finally dare to take a glance at it.

"Wow that is going to frame your body well." Yuki says taking the dress out carefully, like as if it were fragile glass. I look at the red corset bodice that leads down into a knee high, black skirt, it also reveals my neck and shoulders if I were to wear it. Wow, he seems to know just what I like. Maybe Yuki talked about it to him?

"Look they came with black flats as well." Yuki points at the box. I notice a red rose corsage as well. Even the shoes are just my size. How does he know this?!

"You have to admit it's beautiful and it fits your style." Yuki says putting the dress on my lap.

"I guess." I say carelessly, but she's right it is beautiful. I do love the outfit and would wear it.

"Please wear it. I'll wear mine." Yuki pleads with me. She knows I can't deny her so I sigh and nod my head reluctantly. The thought of it being from Kaname doesn't sit well with me. It feels like I'm giving him some sort of victory by accepting this gift.

"On one condition. Don't tell Zero who this is from." I whisper to her. She makes a 'my lips are sealed' gesture and I smile at her. It would be safer for all of us if he doesn't know.

Ah my heart really hurts. For only a moment had I forgotten my unfortunate fate that awaits me. For him too...

                                                                         ~0~

Zero stands at the entrance of the ballroom completely bored. Wishing not to be there, but reasons concerning him make him stay. He throws his head back, and hits the wall behind him, and then places a finger to his lips that were only kissed the day before. He closes his eyes recalling the instant moment, but it didn't feel right. Something about it held a lot of sorrow. Like their first kiss should not have happened in that way.