- 16 -

JJ's POV:

I was about an hour away from the beach. This was the center of the island. I punched a tree and that hurt like a bitch so instead, I kicked it. I was so pissed off. I just needed to get away from everything. I gathered my thoughts and then I realized I was an idiot.

I left Kie with the boat which had the keys. She was probably already back home and now I'm stranded out there. I started running back to my little spot and I was super sweaty. I slowed down as I approached the beach. I saw Kie was still here. She was laying in the hammock, wrapped in the blanket.

She looked at me and I said, "I thought you would've taken off with the boat."

"I'm not leaving this island for another two days." She said

"Kie, we need to go. I'm leaving.." I said

"Please.. Stay.. JJ, I need to finish telling you what happened.." She said

"I don't want to hear it.."

"JJ, he... he..." She was crying and took off her shirt so she was only in her bikini top

I saw her body was covered in hickey's and bruises. She moved her hair and her whole neck was bruised.

I froze. I wouldn't move. I couldn't look away. I felt awful.

I ran to Kie and I hugged her and said, "I'm the worst boyfriend in the world. Kie, I'm so sorry."

I started to cry with her. We were laying in the hammock together and I pulled the blanket over both of us. I held her tight in my arms and said, "This happened the night you came over. I knew something was wrong."

Kie told me the whole story and we were both crying. Thank god her mom came when she did. I felt responsible. I know there is nothing I could have done but I couldn't stop feeling guilty.

"Kie, we need to go back home and tell your parents what happened. Ben needs to go to jail. I don't want him to ever hurt you or another girl again." I said which shocked me as I hated the cops

"Tomorrow. Tonight, I just want to stay here... in your arms.."

I kissed her forehead and said, "I love you, Kie."

"I love you, JJ. Thank you for taking me here."

"Always" I whispered to her

She fell asleep in my arms and then I fell asleep. When I got up in the morning, Kie was still sleeping. So I just laid there so I didn't wake her up.

"Good morning.." She said

"Good morning.." I said

"I slept so well, thank you."

It started to rain and I got up and put the wood over us. Years ago, I got a big piece of wood that I could put over the top of the hammock to keep the rain off me when I was here. It was resting on the trees above us.

"This is so peaceful. We should just stay here forever." Kie said holding onto me

"We need to go back and tell your parents what happened"

"I know. I'm just scared they won't believe me."

"Let me come with you. I promise to protect you from Ben."

"You'd really do that?"

"You know I would. The rain is getting lighter. Let's head back.."

I drove the boat back to John B's and then we went to Kie's house. We were on my bike and Kie was shaking. I grabbed her hand and went to the front door. She opened it and went inside. Her parents ran to her and hugged her.

"Where have you been?" Her father asked

"What the hell? What did you do to my daughter?" Her mom yelled at me

"Nothing.. It was Ben.." Kie said crying

She backed away from her mom and came to my arms.

I held onto her and everyone sat on the couch. Kie sat close to me.

"So what, is Kiara pregnant? Doing drugs? Are you abusing her as your father does to you?" Her mom asked me

"I would never hurt you daughter but Ben would, he did." I said starting the conversation

Her mom laughed and said, "Benjamin would never.."

Kie told her mom what happened and she lifted up her shirt to show the bruises and she moved her hair to show where Ben was choking her.

Anna got up and hugged her daughter.

She called the police as her best friend tried to convince her otherwise. We waited for the cops and Ben walked over to Kie. I stood up and said, "Get away from her.."

He didn't move so I punched him. He fought back and so did I. I got him on the ground and I wrapped my hands around his throat. I had no intention of killing him. I just wanted him to feel what Kie felt.

Her parents didn't stop me and neither did she. When Ben was right on the edge, I let go and rammed my fist into his face.

"Don't ever think about Kie again and if you ever step foot near her. I won't let go next time."

I got up and everyone was watching me. I went to Kie and brought her outside. We sat on the steps leading to the front door and she said, "Thank you for being here and protecting me."

The cops showed up and I explained the situation. Kie gave her statement outside and then the cops went inside and came back out with Ben in handcuffs. Kie was crying and she buried her head in my chest. Her mom was also crying and Mike stood there comforting her. He gave me a nod I did the same back.

Ben left in the back of a cop car and Anna kicked her best friend and husband out. Anna and Mike hugged their daughter and she looked at me and then asked, "Will you stay with me tonight?"

I looked at her parents and Mike and Anna looked at each other and said, "Just for tonight.."

I kissed the top of her head and we went inside. She brought me up to her bedroom and she started crying.

"It's okay, Kie... He's never going to touch you again." I whispered

We laid down in her bed and she laid her head on my chest and I lightly rubbed her back. We stayed like this for about two hours as we quietly talked until Kie fell asleep.

Her mom walked by and stood in the doorway. She smiled and said, "I'm sorry for how I acted when you showed up, JJ. My behavior was unacceptable. Thank you for taking care of my daughter."

"Thank you and of course. I love her.." I said looking down at her

Her mom gave me a small smile before shutting her door and saying, "Goodnight.."

I was shocked she was letting me stay and that she shut the door. I soon fell asleep and woke up to Kie having a bad dream.