16. The One with Two Best Friends

Julianna woke up in the middle of that night and went for a walk out to the courtyard. She sat on the edge of the fountain, and laid her back against the cold concrete. She enjoyed the silence, she could allow herself to think properly. Julianna loved her friends, but she also liked to be alone. There was nothing she had to worry about. She didn't have to listen to Lily yelling at James, or his and Sirius petty arguments over who gets the map. Julianna let her eyes close so that she could relax easily, she let out a soft breath.

Sirius had woken up, bored. He grabbed the map off of his nightstand, hoping to find someone that he could prank. Instead he had found Julianna. Before he could think of it, he grabbed his pack of cigs out of his drawers and left the room. He walked out to the courtyard quickly because he didn't want her to be one whenever he got there. Sirius wanted to see her since he had the chance. Whenever he got outside, he grabbed a fag from his pack and lit it once it was between his lips. There she was.

Feeling a presence around her she sat up and opened her eyes. Sirius was leaning against the column, watching her with a strange look on his face. He brought the cigarette away from his lips and exhaled.

"What are you doing awake?" He asked her, after a couple of minutes of silence, and walked closer to her.

"I woke up." She said simply. Sirius hummed as he held out a cigarette, Julianna opened her mouth slightly to allow him to place it in her mouth. Though neither acknowledged how intimate the moment was. From the prolonged eye contact to the way the tips of his fingers brushed against her lips.

Sirius still had a strange look on his face, he grabbed the lighter from his pocket. He paused and looked at her, then said, "You're my best friend." He said as he lit it for her.

Julianna didn't say anything, but looked at him. She had finally figured it out. Sirius had feelings for her. Sirius took one look at her and knew she knew. Very subtly, he shook his head.

Julianna smiled and took a drag of her cigarette. "Did you know that Lily has a boyfriend?" she asked him.

"Evans? Really?" Sirius said mockingly as he sat down next to her. "James told me. He was there whenever Richard asked her out." he told her.

"Oh that had to have hurt." Julianna said while putting her head on his shoulder.

Sirius didn't respond, he just smiled a little and took another hit of his cigarette. When it was gone, he put it on the floor and stepped on it. Julianna turned her body and laid down so that her head was on his lap. Sirius looked down at her as she smiled and closed her eyes.

Just as she was bringing the cigarette up to her lips, there was another voice. "Hey, those are bad for you, ya know." Julianna opened her eyes and seen Michael Wood.

Sirius let out a chuckle. "Everythings bad for you." Julianna said as she stood up. "You out here for a reason?'

Michael shook his head. "I just couldn't sleep. But I seen the two of you out here and I've been meaning to ask you a question."

Julianna dropped her cigarette and twisted her foot on it. "Sure, What was it?"

Michael shrugged slightly. "I just wanted to see if you wanted to go out with me sometime." Sirius jumped up in shock. He was also very hurt. This would be one more thing he and James would have in common. But Julianna was truly frightened and didn't know what to say so she turned around and left quickly. Sirius couldn't stop the laugh that erupted from his mouth as he went to follow after her.

Julianna was walking fast on purpose because she knew Sirius would say something about it. and she didn't even want to think about it. But she couldn't stop thinking about it. So she stopped walking and turned to Sirius. "He's ruined it. He's ruined everything, and he did it so casually. I have to see him everyday. I have to look at him. and he asked me out? It's selfish that's what it is." She ranted.

Sirius looked as if someone ran over his pet. "Selfish? You think someone confessing their feelings is selfish?"

"Yes! I mean no.. It's different with- because I- and then he- I just don't like him like that and he knows it. And he did it while you were there.. It's manipulative and selfish. And it's selfish because it's him." Julianna kept fumbling over her words, not knowing what she could say, or what she should say. "It's different because it's him" She said finally.

Sirius didn't know what to say. Mainly because Julianna seemed genuinely upset about it. "Different how?"

"Because Michael was supposed to be my friend too. But he ruined it. We can't be friends anymore. There are people who are supposed to stay friends. And then there are people who are supposed to start off as friends but become more. And he's not that type of friend." She complained.

"Julianna-"

"No it's fine." She said. "I'm tired so can we head back?"

Sirius nodded at her,"Yes of course."

In the silence, they walked back. Julianna was frowning the entire time. She was mostly upset because Sirius was there when it happened and she felt embarrassed. Michael didn't even like her like that. They've barely spoke. He just thought she looked good. She looked over at Sirius as he was running his hand through his hair. "What?" He asked looking over at her."

"You have girls coming up to you everyday asking you out and you don't get embarrassed." Julianna said to her.

That made Sirius laugh. Julianna didn't like that it made him laugh. "I'm used to it." He said.

Julianna narrowed her eyes. "Are you insinuating that nobody asks me out?"

Sirius nodded. "That's exactly what I'm saying. I know for a fact that nobody asks you out because they're took scared of me and James. And even Remus." Sirius told her. "Sorry to tell you this, Annie but we ruined your chances at having a boyfriend here at Hogwarts."

Julianna shook her head and rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't say they're ruined." Julianna said to him. Sirius turned to look at her and she stopped walking. His beautiful gray eyes made her want to kiss him even more. "Do you remember when I kissed Lily? During the truth or dare game? And then you kissed me"

Sirius nodded his head. "How could I forget?" He said with a teasing smile as he pushed her shoulder. "Our first kiss, you know."

"Have you ever wanted to kiss your best friend to see how it feels in a not so truth or darey way?" She had blurted out.

Sirius's eyes widened. "Well I don't know about you, but me, Remus and James kiss each other all the time." He had joked.

Julianna rolled her eyes,"Sirius." She said.

Sirius sighed. "Julianna please.."

"I know how I feel when I look in your eyes.. I just- I need to kiss you.. I need to know what it feels li-" Sirius had cut her off by kissing her and she had melted into him within seconds. It was everything and more. This it was. The butterflies. The fireworks. Every part of it. Julianna was indeed in love with her best friend. And Sirius was indeed in love with her. This kiss solidified that. Sirius pulled away Julianna caught herself from following after him, so instead she smiled softly. "this is the part where we both go into our dorms pretending it never happened but then smile to ourselves in bed for the rest of the night."

Sirius had a smile and pushed a strand of hair behind both of her ears,"deal."

That night though, Julianna did more than think and smile about it. She couldn't get Sirius off of her mind. It was as if the kiss awoke something in her that she couldn't get rid of.