Chapter 20 - Birthday Disaster

Suminako's POV

It's finally the ninth day of November, which means... It's finally my birthday!

Initially I thought April the 1st was my birthday, but it turns out it was my adopted birthday after Jii-san reveals to me that my actual birth date was November 9th. He said that Taka-kun was the one who told him about it, which was rather strange when you think about it.

How would he know about my actual birth date if even Jii-san doesn't know?

A letter came in for me today, and I knew it could only be from Jii-san. The contents of the letter wished me happy birthday, and attached to letter came with a package, which was a gift from Jii-san.

He got me the newest set of Zebra mildliners, which I'm very happy with since stationery is one of my biggest obsessions.

I happily skipped into class, in hopes of something like a birthday party or a celebration. However, the classroom was how it usually is like in any ordinary day.

"Happy birthday Sumi," said Hotaru whilst handing me a wrapped present.

"Arigato~!" I grinned at the thought someone does remember my birthday.

I was hoping that the others would come to wish me a happy birthday, but it seems like only Hotaru remembers. I was rather upset since I have a book of writing details of everyone and their birthdays.

I made sure I gave everyone their gifts on their birthdays, so I was kind of expecting everyone'd do the same for me. But I guess I was being a bit selfish and got my hopes up.

As I got to my seat, I noticed that I was seated between the two, Natsume ans Ruka-pyon. Zeka wasn't around, I didn't see her at her room this morning.

The first thing that came to mind was if she was doing 'those missions' again. I had her promise me not to do them despite knowing it's rather impossible since she might do it in secret.

"Hey Natsume, where's Zeka?" I asked anxiously.

But to my dismay, Natsume got up from his seat and left.

He's ignoring me...

"Ne Ruka-pyon, do you know where Zeka is?" I asked.

"N-No I don't, I'm sorry Akayuki-san," said Ruka-pyon.

I sighed and sat over with Ruka-pyon since I don't know where Natsume has left to, presumably skipping class again or something.

All of a sudden, the lights went out. It was probably a power outage or something, I didn't let it bother me since I wasn't really in the mood.

When it turned back on after a few minutes, the classroom had transformed into a party.

"Surprise!" said everyone.

There were party balloons tied to each table, the sounds of popping crackers, the walls were decorated with fairy lights.

Tsubasa-nii and Misaki-nee came into the classroom with Yo-chan while they were pushing a cart into the classroom. On top of the cart was the hugest birthday cake I've ever seen, and everyone started singing the happy birthday song.

I started crying when everyone was waiting for my reaction.

"I-I thought everyone forgot..." I wiped my tears as I spoke with a trembling voice.

"How could anyone forget your birthday? You're the most special girl in our class," said both Anna and Nonoko.

"Here, this is my real gift for you. I just didn't give it to you earlier on purpose," said Hotaru as she hands a wrapped package to me.