Chapter 1

Genesis

"We're going to a party tonight," Mia my best friend and roommate announced right before plucking the paperback from my hands and depositing it onto my nightstand. I was so engrossed in the story that I was unaware of her entering my room.

"Bitch, what the hell? I was in the middle of a very steamy scene!"I exclaimed attempting to retrieve my book.

She ignored my protest as she used her body to block my part. "No, no more reading tonight we're going to a party. So take your grumpy ass into the bathroom take a shower, do something with that bird's nest on top of your head, put on something cute, and let's go have some fun. It's our senior year let's make the most of it." she demanded in one breath.

Rolling my eyes I flopped back on the bed folding my arms like a petulant child. "Sorry, I already have plans tonight, besides I went out with you last week," I said referring to when I went to Mitchell's a popular off-campus Bar with her and her 'friend' Nate and some of his teammates.

"Oh really, doing what?" she asked still occupying her post in front of my nightstand. "Reading and maybe binge-watching Criminal Minds or One Tree Hill later," she remarked stepping a little closer to me.

That was exactly what I had planned.

"You don't need me to come with you, you'll have your boyfriend Nate to keep you company," I said teasingly steering the subject away from my very predictable night.

Nate Walker was the star wide receiver, of our college football team. He's been asking Mia out ever since they were partnered together for an assignment in psych class last semester but she kept shooting him down every time.

Because Amia Collins didn't date one-night stands are more her speed. Anything to avoid getting too close to someone. Her fear of commitment stemmed from her parent's fucked up marriage but we'll get into another time.

They kept in touch during summer break and when the new school year started she finally agreed to go out with him and they've been hanging out ever since I could tell she liked him a lot even though she insisted on keeping him at arm's length.

Rolling her eyes she stopped in front of me resting her hands on her hips.

"One, he's not my boyfriend we're just hanging out which you already know. And two, don't try to distract me you're coming to this party. You've turned down the last two parties I invited you to and you promised you'd come to the next one. Well, guess what I'm cashing in on that promise."

I only told her that so she'll stop pestering me and she did. Now that promise came back to bite me in the ass.

I'm not a big fan of going out, if you haven't already noticed. I prefer to be at home cozied up under a blanket watching one of my favorite shows, sketching a new design, or getting lost in a new book.

I wasn't always like this, there was a time when I actually liked going to parties and socializing. Sure I wasn't the social butterfly Mia was, but I wasn't the hermit I am now either.

Since we started our senior year of college Mia has been more determined than ever to drag me out of the house. She kept stressing the fact that it was our last year of college, the last year to make unforgettable memories together. Before we graduate and go our separate ways, me to New York to work with my aunt, and her to med school in California.

Memories we should've been making the last three years we've been in college. When we were in high school all we talked about were all the things we'd do when we attended college together. All the parties we'll attend the clubs we'd go to, we had all these plans. But the girl who made all those plans was the old me before life decided to show me what a nasty bitch she can be.