Chapter 9

Genesis

"I thought we were going for burgers?" I averted my gaze from the window looking over at Brooks. He came back from his away game earlier today which they won by the way.

He texted me an hour to get ready, he was coming to pick me up to get burgers. So I naturally assumed we were going to Millie's since it was the place everyone on campus went for burgers. But instead of pulling into Millie's parking lot, he drove straight past the diner without any intention of stopping.

"We are going for burgers," he replied his eyes fixed on the road.

"But we just drove past Millie's," I pointed out.

"Thanks, for stating the obvious," he teased shooting me a quick smile before redirecting his gaze back to the road. "I'm taking you to a  place in Randall," she said referring to the next closest town.

I rolled my eyes. "I just assumed we were going to the diner since you never said we were going someway new."

"Well I'm telling you now and you'll thank me later when you try it. I guarantee it's the best burger you've ever tasted."

"That's quite presumptuous of you," I grinned at him. "But I'm sure you're wrong because nothing could beat the burger I had at this place in New York."

"Just wait you'll see," he declared confidently. "One thing you need to know about me is that I'm always right, It is one of my many talents." He winked at me a smirk curling at the edge of his lips. "I could show you some others if you want?"

"Ugh, you're such a pig!" I exclaimed playfully hitting him on his shoulder.

"Ow, the violence," he laughed. "And while I'm driving, are you trying to kill us!" he joked.

I could tell he was joking, he was laughing but I was powerless in controlling my reaction to his words. My body locked up and the smile I was wearing instantly fell from my face.

Retracting my hand I placed it in my lap twisting it together with the other one. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry, I wasn't thinking." The frantic words poured out of my mouth without control.

"Hey, It's okay I was joking," he reassured me, his eyebrows pulling down in concern as he took his attention away from the road to quickly look at me. But I didn't pay him any mind, effectively tuning him out as I felt the panic beginning to take root inside me.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

I know I didn't hit him hard enough for him to lose control of the car but what was I thinking hitting him while he was driving? I had first-hand experience with the fact that accidents can occur in the blink of an eye. I shouldn't be joking around like that and distracting him while he was behind the wheel.

My actions caused him to take his eyes off the road for a few seconds. A lot can happen in a few seconds.

And suddenly I was no longer in the car with Brooks instead I was back in the past hearing the screeching of tires, the sound of glass shattering around me, and my name being shouted.

I was so lost in my head that I didn't realize Brooks had pulled to the side of the road. Until he grabbed my face between his palms effectively pulling me back to the present and away from the past.

"Baby, Are you okay?" He asked his voice laced with concern using his thumb he wiped away a tear that fell down my cheek. "What the fuck just happened." The confusion and panic were evident in his voice.

"I'm fine," I whispered hoarsely, clearing the lump from my throat I pulled my face away from his hands as I straighten up attempting to compose myself.