Chapter 15

Genesis

I couldn't sleep. I've been laying on my bed for the last two hours simply staring at the ceiling lost in thought.

After Brooks left me in the hallway I remained standing there for a few minutes before I made my way back. Brooks was gone by the time I arrived and the girls were ready to leave so Royce agreed to drive them home so I didn't have to. I could tell they were curious about what happened between Brooks and me but they never asked.

When I got home I took a shower, then climbed into bed where I've been staring at the ceiling ever since.

My conversation with Brooks has been playing in my head on a constant loop for the last two hours. Especially the last thing he said to me before he left.

You deserve a chance to be happy again.

Mia was right when she said that I didn't feel like I deserve to be happy and live my life.

After the accident, I felt like I didn't have the right to be happy or move on with my life when it was my fault Eli died that night. If I hadn't suggested going to the beach he would be alive.

I haven't been truly happy in a long time. Content yes but not happy. Brooks brought out a part of me that I thought died that night. He made me happy.

Isn't that was everyone searches for in life? Something to make them happy, something to look forward to.

I'm beginning to have that with Brooks, so what am I waiting for? I more than anyone knew how fleeting life can be. How in a split second your life can change so I shouldn't waste wait a minute of it.

I didn't wait to second-guess myself, instead, I hopped out of bed and slipped my feet into a pair of uggs. I then swiped my phone and keys off my nightstand and rushed out of my bedroom.

I grabbed my coat off the rack by the front door and slipped it over the cropped tank top and sleep shorts I wore to bed. After I locked the front door, I hopped in my car and pulled out of my driveway.

Five minutes later I pulled up in front of Brooks's house. Picking up my phone I hit call before lifting the phone to my ear.

What if he was sleeping? Doubt slowly began to creep in.

Ugh! Gen you really didn't think this through. I nervously tapped my fingers on the steering wheel as I waited for him to answer and he finally did on the third ring.

"Gen?" I could hear the concern seeping into his voice. "It's late what's wrong."

"Hey, I'm fine but I'm outside come and open the door," I replied as I switched off the engine and climbed out of my car.

"What? I'm coming," he said and I heard shuffling and a door closing in the background before he hung up as I made my way up the driveway.

I was a few feet away from the door when it flew open revealing Brooks standing there in a grey t-shirt and black sweatpants.

"Gen, what going on?" He asked as I stopped directly in front of him, his gaze roving over me as if he was ensuring I was really okay.

I could've said a million different things at that moment instead, I blurted out. "I like you too."

"What?" He asked confused his eyebrows pulling down in a frown.