Chapter 18

Brooks

It took me a few minutes to get to the kitchen because I was stopped every second by several people wanting to say hello and talk about the game.

And when I finally made it to the kitchen I was surrounded again and held in one conversation after the next. But every five minutes I found myself looking toward the doorway hoping Gen walked through.

Where the hell was she? I've been in here a while now waiting on her and I was starting to get a little worried.

Just as I left the group of people I was talking to go look for her. I heard someone shout my name from across the kitchen.

Fucking hell what now.

Turning my head a genuine smile stretched across my face when my gaze landed on a familiar figure heading in my direction.

"Hey," Simone greeted her strawberry blonde hair swaying across her shoulders as she stopped in from me. "Congrats on your win," she said wrapping me in a quick hug before she pulled away.

Simone, Nate, and I went to high school together and she also lived in the house next to mines growing up.

"Thanks, Sim," I replied. "So how's Miko?" I asked referring to her girlfriend since high school. 

"She's good, she just started an apprenticeship at a tattoo shop in Boston," she told me before a teasing smile formed on her lips. "Speaking of, who's this girlfriend of yours I keep hearing everyone talking about tonight?" She asked with a lifted brow. "I didn't think it was true but from your expression, I could tell it is."

I laughed. "Yeah, her name is Gen she went up to my room, she should be down soon so hopefully you'll get to meet her." As if my words materialized her, I lifted my head and spotted Gen at the entrance of the kitchen.

I watched as she headed in our direction oblivious to the appreciative looks people were shooting her, instead, her eyes were locked on Simone and me.

Simone followed my gaze. "Is that her?"

But I wasn't paying her any attention because just looking at Gen's stony expression as she neared us I could tell something was up. She tried to cover it up but from the tightness around her mouth and the lightning flash of anger, I stopped in her eyes before she covered it up. I could tell she was upset about something.

"Hey," I said putting my free arm around her waist when she stopped in front of us and she immediately stiffened at my touch. Frowning, I opened my mouth to ask her what was wrong but Simone cut me off reminding me that she was still standing there.

"Hey, it's nice to meet you, Gen, I'm Simone," Simone introduced herself with a bright smile stretching out her hand toward Gen.

"You too," Gen replied with a tight smile shaking Simone's hand quickly before letting it go. Her eyes then pinged between the two of us. "So how do you two know each other," she asked conversationally but I swear I detected an edge in her voice.

If Simone picked up on the edge in Gen's voice or her stiff demeanor she didn't show it, she still had a wide smile plastered on her face as she replied. "We were neighbors growing up and our fathers are best friends so we've known each other our entire lives."

Gen hummed, nodding her head but otherwise said nothing. I watched as Simone's smile faltered a little she opened her mouth to say something else but paused when someone said her name.

Simone looked over her shoulder at the girl who was standing near the doorway. The girl waved her over, an impatient expression on her face. Simone glanced back at us and if I'm being honest she looked a little relieved.