Chapter 22

Genesis

I cracked my eyes open, blinking rapidly as my eyes adjusted to the morning light spilling through the cracks in the curtain.

I looked over at Brooks's side of the bed, and it was empty. So I laid there, for a couple of minutes before I hopped to my feet and headed into my bathroom.

After I brushed my teeth and I washed my face. I arranged my messy, curly hair over my shoulders, trying the best I could to hide the hickey Brooks left on the side of my neck last night.

When I was done, I strode out of my bedroom in search of Brooks. In the hallway leading to the kitchen, I was hit with the most mouth-watering aroma.

It had to be Nate who was cooking breakfast, I knew it wasn't Brooks or Mia because those two were practically helpless in the kitchen.

Entering the kitchen, I was greeted with laughter and the sound of bacon sizzling in a pan.

Emma was standing next to Brooks by the island as he poured orange juice into a glass, and just as I suspected Nate was flipping pancakes by the stove.

Brooks spotted me first. "Good morning," he said with a wide smile on his face.

"Hey, Gen," Emma smiled brightly. She seemed a lot better this morning, her upbeat voice and the large smile on her face were a complete one-eighty from last night.

"Hey," I responded with a smile, moving forward until I stood next to Brooks.

"Gen, you're just in time for breakfast," Nate said looking at me over his shoulder.

"I can see that," I replied looking over at him. "Pancakes huh?" I eyed the tall stack of pancakes he had piled on a plate next to him.

He smiled. "Yeah, Emma loves pancakes," he shrugged. "And I figured since she had a rough night, she could you some cheering up," he said with a wink in Emma's direction. A blush bloomed over the apples of her cheeks as a shy smile pulled at her full lips.

I think Emma has a little crush on Nate.

Brooks passed the glass of juice to Emma before he grasped me by my hips, pressing a swift kiss to my lips.

"You want some coffee?" he asked when he pulled back.

"Is that even a question," I quipped.

"Don't be a smart-ass," he murmured, giving my ass a light slap.

Emma grumbled something about us being disgusting under her breath.

Laughing, Brooks pressed a light kiss to my nose before he went to prepare my coffee.

"So what are we doing today?" Emma asked, looking at me expectantly as she placed her elbows on the kitchen island and rested her chin on her laced fingers.

"Well, Mia and I are going to the mall a little later. You can come with us if you want," I offered.

"I'll like that."

I felt my phone vibrate in my hand, glancing down. A smile lit up my face at the name flashing across the screen.

I look over at Brooks. "I'll be right back."