Chapter 21

Genesis

Emma flinched, taken aback by Brooks's anger. "I...I'm so..r..ry," Emma stuttered wrapping her arms around herself.

"You know what, you weren't thinking," Brooks said ignoring Emma's apology as he continued. "Because if you were, you wouldn't have snuck out with your friends and come here in the first place. You're fucking sixteen, Emmaline you have no business being at a college party in the first place. Do you know how much fucked shit goes down at an Alpha Phi party?"

Movement by the entrance of the living room caught my attention. I watched as Mia and Nate came to a stop in the entryway, absorbing
the drama they walked in on with wide eyes.

Emma's hands dropped to her side as her back straightened defensively. "Oh my God, don't give me that bullshit Brooks. We both know that when you were sixteen, you did a lot worse than sneaking out to a college party."

"Don't be stupid Emma!" He yelled causing her to flinch again. "It's not the same, Tonight could have ended a lot worse. Don't you get that? What if I wasn't home, what if I was away at a game and I couldn't come and get you."

Emma sniffled her shoulders slumping as the fight left her body. "You don't think I know that," she whispered her voice cracking, tears welling in her eyes. She looked like she was a second away from breaking down in the middle of my living room.

So I decided it was time for me to step in and diffuse the situation before things escalated further. "Brooks, you need to calm down," I said stepping closer to him.

He spared me a glance, his face twisted in anger before shifting his gaze back to Emma. "Stay out of this Gen. This has nothing to do with you," he said dismissively.

I had to refrain from snapping at him, instead, I took a calming breath as I stood in front of him. "You're angry, I get that, but you need to calm the hell down. Before you say something that you'll regret. Your sister has already been through a tough night, and you yelling at her isn't going to achieve anything. Except maybe,  scaring her even more than she's already been scared." I replied in a low voice that only he could hear.

Brooks looked down at me, finally giving me his full attention, so I continued. "You can go back to my room and cool down while I show Emma to the guest room," I told him.

He stared back at me wordlessly for a couple of seconds, then he nodded. Casting one more glance at his sister, he looked as if he wanted to say something. Instead, he sighed heavily before he turned and walked out of the living room.

He marched straight past Nate and Mia without acknowledging them and disappeared around the corner. Nate whispered something to Mia before he followed Brooks.

Mia left her spot and stepped further into the living room. Running a hand over her fizzy shoulder-length curls as she smiled kindly at Emma. "Hi Emma, I'm Mia Gen's roommate."

Emma acknowledged Mia with a small smile but otherwise remained silent.

I turned to face Emma. "You want something to drink or eat? There is some leftover Chinese takeout in the fridge from earlier, If you want I could heat it up for you."

"I'm not hungry but some water would be good."

"I'll get it," Mia offered, I shot her a grateful smile before she turned and walked out of the living room.