Chapter 8

Genesis

My head snapped up from the dress I was currently sketching towards my nightstand where my phone was ringing. Resting my sketchbook flat on the bed beside me I stretched out my hand toward my phone.

Grasping the phone I flipped it over peering at the screen. I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face at seeing Brooks's name flashing across the screen.

I know I said that I can't get too attached to Brooks I have to keep my distance but somehow he wormed his way under my skin.

It's Thursday, five days since Brooks showed up at my house that night. Since then we've grown closer we text each other every day and Tuesday night Mia and I met up with him and Nate at Millie's diner.

We haven't hung out by ourselves since Sunday because we've both been busy. But we've made plans to hang out again when he returns from the away game he's leaving for tomorrow.

Swiping I accepted the call, a shirtless Brooks appeared on the screen when the call connected he was sprawled out on his bed with his head resting on his arm. I had to stop myself from gawking at his tall, lean muscular body that was on full display.

"Hey you," he greeted grinning at me. "What are you up to?" he asked.

"Hey," I replied making myself comfortable on my bed. "Well, I was sketching a dress design before you rudely interrupted," I said in a teasing voice scooting my body further up the bed until I was leaning against the headboard.

"Oh, let me see, I've never seen any of the design sketches."

I shook my head. "No, it's not finished yet, I show you it when I'm done."

"Fine," he rolled his eyes playfully before shifting on the bed and winced when he tried to sit up.

I shot him a sympathetic look. "Rough practice?" I didn't understand how hard football players worked until Brooks and I became friends. He has to juggle practice, workouts, games, and classes I've developed a newfound respect for how hard he works.

"Yeah, practice was pretty brutal today," finally getting conformable. "You know what will make me feel better?" he asked his eyes locked on me through the screen.

"What?" I asked.

"If you came over and gave me a message," he answered a smirk curling at the corner of his lips.

I snorted. "In your dreams Heyward."

"Babe, in my dreams you're giving me a lot more than a massage." he wiggled his eyebrows at me.

I laughed. "You're really annoying you know that?"

"Gen, can I talk to you for a second," a voice interrupted. My head snapped in the direction of the doorway where Mia was standing. From the look on her face, I knew something was wrong.

I glanced back at my phone. "Hey, Brooks I have to go," I told him.

He frowned. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, but Mia needs me for something."

"Okay, I'll text you tomorrow," we exchanged goodbyes before hanging up.

Mia came lying down next to me staring up at the ceiling. We laid on my bed in silence for a few minutes I didn't push her to talk, I knew she'll speak when she was ready.

"My dad texted me," she finally said breaking the silence her eyes still locked on the ceiling.

Shit that was never a good thing. Mia's relationship with her father has always been rocky but ever since her parents divorced three years ago their relationship went from bad to worst.